Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Rain-x. Win!

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Re: Rain-x. Win!

Postby matshap » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm

I bought rain x today, but have not tried it yet. It says on the package: ''Do not use on plastics unless pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated. Do not use on or allow product to contact painted surfaces, non-clear surfaces, surfaces treated with anti-reflective, scratch resistant, or other coatings.''
Is it safe to use it? The housing won't be ruined?
matshap

Postby PTCX » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 am

Rain-X is safe to use on the waterproof housing and outer lens,I have used it plenty of times and had no problems.
PTCX

Postby flareside » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:44 am

From the GoPro Hero 2 User Manual:

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 8958 times

The bubble lens is glass, not plastic so the Rain-X warning is not really relevant anyway.
flareside

Postby Dan Morera » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 am

PTCX wrote:Rain-X is safe to use on the waterproof housing and outer lens,I have used it plenty of times and had no problems.

Any idea if it would work on a Polarizer filter? I got a Sigma lense I would like to apply it to. But then again this is going to be used in a kayak in salt water.

By reading what Rambo says, it appears that rainx is a no no for the sea.
Dan Morera

Postby PTCX » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 pm

I have never tried it on any of my polarizing filters and they are too expensive to potentially ruin one by trying it.I would go with the lick and dip method just in case,and that does work extremely well in fresh or salt water.
Rambo spends a lot of time in the sea with cameras,so if he say's it's a no no then you can take him at his word.
The thing with Rain-X is it beads the water and then some wind pressure from movement is needed to push the beads off the lens.With licking or spitting on the lens the water tends to spread off the lens in sheets so it will work better in a slow moving or stationary situation.Use with regular re-application of tongue.
PTCX

Rain Repellant?? What do you think?

Postby ChowderChimp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Hey GoPro Users,

I use my GoPro for surfing and I'm trying to minimize water droplets whilst taking footage.

I was looking at some windscreen rain repellant in an auto store today and was wondering if this was good to use on the plastic housing?

Any advice..

ChowderChimp

Re: Rain Repellant?? What do you think?

Postby GoPro#1Fan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:04 pm

GoPro#1Fan

Postby peter nap » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Lots of post about this. Use spit or a dive mask treatment.
peter nap

Postby WD Pro » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 pm

If you decided to try it (I am not sure it would suit surfing) consider this I just posted :

WD Pro wrote:Rain X, some love it, some hate it ... :lol:

If you do use it, consider decanting some into smaller containers to reduce the size of your kit, especially if traveling :

The black topped bottle is standard rain x and the red topped bottle is anti fog. The bottles are perfume sampler bottles which can be found cheap on eBay :D

If you're wondering how much they hold, this much :

Looked after my 55mm Blurfix lens for a two week holiday and provided fifteen applications :D

WD :D

From here : wd-pro-s-gopro-tips-t9787.html

WD :D
My GoPro Tips : http://goprouser.freeforums.org/wd-pro-s-gopro-tips-t9787.html

My YouTube Channel : www.youtube.com/user/GetAGoodFeeling
WD Pro

Postby PandaGFX » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:59 pm

better would be a small pumpspray bottle like what Muji sells
PandaGFX

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models