Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Rain-x. Win!

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Rain-x. Win!

Postby Wan King » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm

For the cost of it I thought I'd buy a bottle.

Definitely does the job well. Will be excellent not having beads of water on the lens.

Win!
Wan King

Re: Rain-x. Win!

Postby Rambo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:39 pm

You will still get beads of water, just smaller ones and more of them.

Better to spit on the lens, wipe it in with your finger, dunk camera in the water once, mount and start shooting. Redo every 5 mins or when you see the water film break or dry out.

You are shooting thru a very thin film of water that will have no effect on the image. When water splashes the lens it is absorbed by the film and excess runs off.

This will only work on a very CLEAN lens. No finger prints, dirt, Rainx etc.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Wan King » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:35 am

Interesting Rambo.

My initialtest were running it under the tap. I'll do a proper test of my kayak soon and put a video up, see what happens.
Wan King

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 am

Rain-X works ok on the water - usually, the big blobs run off quickly. I use some stuff designed for car mirrors that completely sheds the water ... slightly more effective :)
Kamikuza

Postby Rambo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:52 am

Kamikuza wrote:Rain-X works ok on the water - usually, the big blobs run off quickly. I use some stuff designed for car mirrors that completely sheds the water ... slightly more effective :)

Yes the big blobs run off but it still holds on to a lot of smaller ones.

RainX is preventing a film forming, spit is promoting a film forming, completely the opposite effect.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 am

One is much harder work that the other - when the camera is several meters away and attached to my kite lines, I can't really be gobbing on it every 5 minutes :D horses for courses ;)
I've never seen lots of smaller ones - but I guess the wind is blowing them off ... aided by the hydrophobic properties of the Rain-X ...?
Kamikuza

Postby Rambo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Yeah kite surfing is more protected (camera is usually higher) than say a kayak where the best video is shot low and the camera in position where it is being flushed full on few times per minute by waves and sea, so no need to re-lick as often.

As you say horses for courses.

Pro Surf Photographers lick and dunk constantly when shooting from in the water.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Wan King » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:03 am

Test result.

It's rather too far for me to bend over and lick the lens of my GoPro on the deck of my 16 foot kayak so I gave the rain-x a try out on my local freshwater river.

It's a little bit of a hit and miss affair. I had to. Really give the GP a good splashing to get the water completely off the lens. Sometimes with a paddle full of water thrown at it all the water would run off, sometimes I was left with the tiniest of water beads. With the camera mounted about 4 feet away from me I could easily see any remaining beads, soak it again and they were gone. After something like twenty goes I think i had two incidences of a small bead of water at tge bottom curve of the lens.

Certainly a massive improvement over not using rain-x at all and if used on a fast moving vehicle I'm pretty sure the water would bead off the lens completely.

It's a win for me.
Wan King

Postby Wan King » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 am

Here's a video of my experiment.

As you can see you do have to wash the water droplets off with a good dousing of water.

I was expecting no water whatsoever after the rain x application but I can live with throwing a few paddles of water on the lens to get that precious shot.

Before I applied the rain x there would always be some water remaining, even with a good soaking.

I'm saying it works but has limited use.

Wan King

Next

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models