Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Reliable Cold Weather Mount Advice needed

Yep, you guessed it, Creative Uses in the Powder Stuff. NO Camera issues Please.

Reliable Cold Weather Mount Advice needed

Postby PackerFever » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:46 am

Hi, I have been riding with my new GPH3 Black and when it gets real cold or I have a hard tumble the mount pops off my helmet. I have done everything right as far as cleaning the surface well and mounting in a warm environment and even used a new mount three times. However none of these seem to work for more than a couple days. The cold weather today just made it pop off my helmet, and yes my helmet does have a smooth surface. Thankfully I have had a leash on the housing and the cameera stays with me after it comes off.

I need a reliable system as it gets very cold here in Breckenridge and I want to have it mounted on my helmet most of the time. I am looking for a solution that works. New mounting methods. Mounts, adhesives, glue, or anything else that seems to work. I have considered using a T-Bolt through my helmet but I do not want to jeopardize the integrity of the helmet and I believe the GOPro mounts will eventually break if I drill holes through it as well.

What is working for you? Is there a mount I have not discovered? I am on the verge of getting creative but I don't want to weaken the helmet nor the housing of the camera. Ideas please. Thanks for your input.

~Fever
PackerFever

Re: Reliable Cold Weather Mount Advice needed

Postby mikerb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:47 am

Don't know what you mean by very cold but I have used several helmet sticky mounts and never has one come off despite cold waters etc ( windsurfing). One thing you may not be doing is giving the mount sufficient time to adhere....it is recommended you leave it at least 24 hours in room temperature before using it.
There are alternatives however most of which involve drilling the helmet and the helmet construction may be compromised as a result. If the helmet has vents there is of course the helmet strap option ( not the stupid elastic band thing!).
At the end of the day the helmet mount is probably the least effective for any action sport in any case. Why not start thinking about alternative mounting positions....chest harness, go pole mount, leg strap, snowboard mount using a FCS mount etc.
mikerb

Postby PackerFever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Windsurfing? I am not surprised that you are not familiar with what "Cold Weather" means. The ambient air temps are never above 30 degrees and usually a lot colder. Not to mention the "Wind Chill" factor. Simply put the air temp combined with activity affect the adhesive on the mount, you wouldn't be Windsurfing in these conditions because the water would be ice. It happened again today and I am just thankful I had a leash on the camera. 50mph is not a good speed to have to stop and go back uphill if the mount randomly decides to let loose, & today it was random. So that is a waste of money for 3 mounts and no real solutions by GoPro. I love the camera however the weak link is the adhesive mount. I will attempt some new methods but I hate that I even have to think about it when it should be an afterthought.
PackerFever

Postby gneil » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:09 am

I also live in Breckenridge and I've had a 'curved' GoPro mount on my Boeri helmet for two years with no problems. I simply cleaned the helmet with alcohol then waited a day or so before going skiing with it. I haven't fallen such that the camera is severely whacked by the snow but I've hit the camera with the chairlift safety bar lots of times and the mount is still attached. (No leash but I really ought to have one.)

So I can only guess that your helmet's finish is incompatible with GoPro's sticky-tape glue.

That said, the captured video is better with the chest mount or with the camera on a ski pole. I noticed that the newer "handlebar mount" comes with a rubber donut filler/adapter for smaller diameters -- I just use some bike inner tube.

...Neil
gneil

Postby mikerb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:22 am

PackerFever wrote:Windsurfing? I am not surprised that you are not familiar with what "Cold Weather" means. The ambient air temps are never above 30 degrees and usually a lot colder. Not to mention the "Wind Chill" factor. Simply put the air temp combined with activity affect the adhesive on the mount, you wouldn't be Windsurfing in these conditions because the water would be ice. It happened again today and I am just thankful I had a leash on the camera. 50mph is not a good speed to have to stop and go back uphill if the mount randomly decides to let loose, & today it was random. So that is a waste of money for 3 mounts and no real solutions by GoPro. I love the camera however the weak link is the adhesive mount. I will attempt some new methods but I hate that I even have to think about it when it should be an afterthought.

..........which is why I asked. My bottom temp is about 5c including wind chill but guys over in Norway etc venture out in less than that without problems........and I know several guys who go skiing without your problem. So I guess the guy above is right...for whatever reason your helmet material is not allowing a good adhesion. So what you could try is to lightly rub down a very small area equivalent in size to the sticky to remove the very top layer and provide a decent key.

The sticky uses 3M and there is nothing better so it is hardly Gopro's issue if your helmet is not compatible for whatever reason...it seems the vast majority of helmets work fine..........worst case....get a new helmet.
mikerb

Postby Hobby Mounts » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

Can you post a close up picture of your helmet?
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby GoPro#1Fan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't have problems with the curved mounts in my helmet, but the flat ones I install in the snowboard stay there for a couple of rides only (no compatible material?), so maybe gneil and mikerb're right and your helmet's the problem.
GoPro#1Fan

Postby PackerFever » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Thank you, I do appreciate your comments. The problem is not the surface of the helmet, it is smooth and no different than most I have seen on the mountain. My latest attempt has now lasted several days but the weather has also been a bit warmer as well. I will invest in a few more mounts since the previous failed mounts do not appear to be reusable. As far as a chest mount, not a great perspective and wearing it sideways will not work for a good view either since my arms are mounted to my shoulders. I am looking at a few other options and will update, however carrying a pole around is not practical for more than just cruising groomers. I will continue to work out the kinks on my own. The only other issue is that once we get enough snow to go through the trees on a more consistent basis I am sure I will need to find a lower position for the camera since branches do not move and I am sure the camera will get banged off the helmet at some point.

My original question was about looking for new reliable methods. I have yet to see a response other than it is my helmet. I will try a few other things I have considered and let you know what works. As far as mounting on a snowboard, I have found that the vibration combined with the surface of the board also does not work.

My only other issue is that I need to have someone follow me around with a camera so I am on film instead of just a cruising perspective. ;) I will also look into the extended mounts which hold it off my head but again not practical in some situations.

Thanks again for your input.
PackerFever

Postby mikerb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 am

There are back pack type mounts on the market...e.g vizmount.
mikerb

Postby Hobby Mounts » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:46 am

Take a look at the BRLS Mount. It's a small tri-suction cup. Really designed for surfboards but we've found it works on any smooth, non-porous surface.
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Next

Return to GoPro SnowSports