Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Scratched lens on camera itself.

This Old Forum unlocked but ARCHIVED.

Scratched lens on camera itself.

Postby Munirider » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 am

I just want to warn all owners to figure out a way to put a lens cap on your camera for when you are charging it. The camera in the housing is just about bullet proof, but the camera lens itself is very fragile when it is out of the case. I left my camera plugged into my laptop to charge it, and someone moved my laptop and the camera flipped on it's face and the lens got scratched. My camera was only two weeks old. Gopro doesn't fix cameras with scratched lenses and the lens is glued on, so there is no way to unscrew it to replace it. So if this happens to you, you will need to buy another camera. Gopro did offer me a discount on a new camera and I did take them up on their offer. So I have another camera on the way. Unfortuanetly, they don't sell just the camera by itself. You have to buy it with all the accessories.

For $300, the camera should come with a 5 cent lens cap. It would be even better to redesign the front of the camera, so that the lens doesn't stick out and get scratched in case it gets flipped over on it's face. I rather have a less wide angle lens that doesn't stick out and get easily scratched or at least include a slide on lens cap.

I tried buffing out the scratch and I almost had it buffed all the way out, but then the lens got soft, so now it has a fuzzy spot on it. I should have stopped when I had half of it buffed out. It would have worked on cloudy days, but on sunny days, the sun would hit the scratch and there would be a bunch of spots in the video.

The scratched lens camera is now for sale in the classified section of this forum for $50. I figured someone my want it to experiment with. If it doesn't sell, I am thinking of using it as my charger and just keep the new camera in the case. If someone has a camera with fried electronics, here is your chance to bring it back to life. Just swap out my electronics since my camera works perfectly.
Munirider

Re: Scratched lens on camera itself.

Postby ThMu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:01 am

Munirider wrote:the lens is glued on, so there is no way to unscrew it to replace it.

Here's a video of somone who changed the lens in order to alter the wide angle perspective.

On his website http://hübi.de/gopro-hd/objektiv-wechsel/index.html (german) he descriebes how he did it.
ThMu

Postby Jonkki » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 pm

I have also scratched the lens, and got the same discount offer which I took :).
In my case, the suctioncup mount failed on heating surface (car hood) and fell on the track, about 200m before I was about to stop and detach it anyway.
The housing snapped open and I found the camera lying face down on the ground. Amazingly nothing actually broke, only the lens got the scratch. The camera was one week old.

From then on I have taped the housing shut, just to be safe if it would fall again. And I will never again mount it on heating surfaces :D.
Jonkki

Postby Munirider » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 am

Well I went for broke and took my scratched up camera completely apart and I was able to take off the scratched up lens. It was actually pretty easy. I just took off all the screws. One screw is hard to see since it is down deep next to that flat ribbon cable. The lens is screwed on tight since it is glued on, but I was able to break it loose with some small channel lock pliers. Once you break it loose, it unscrews. I emailed Gopro this morning to see if they can sell me a new lens, but I haven't heard back from them yet. If they say no, I will have to find a replacement lens. The lens itself is pretty heavy, it doesn't feel cheap. It looks like it has the infrared filter on the back of the housing facing the camera. The lens itself looks like the same threads that where on my old webcam so I am hoping that a lot of lenses will fit. Anybody know where I can get a replacement lens if Gopro doesn't sell me one?Image
Munirider

Postby modrak » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:13 am

don't know if the thread matches...but worth a try for the price?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15774
modrak

Postby Munirider » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:50 am

This is not a common lens. I live in Austin Texas which is the home of Super Circuits, which is probably one of the biggest security camera manufactures. They couldn't help me. The lens needs to have extra long threads because the CCD chip is in the second circuit board, so a regular lens won't come to focus because it doesn't have enough threads. I have been looking for a lens on the web and so far have had no luck. Most lenses don't come with the infrared filter on the lens, and without that filter, it doesn't work. I got an email from Gopro a little while ago and they told me they won't sell me a replacement lens. This is BS! If you can't buy a replacement part from the manufacturer, who are you supposed to buy them from? I don't see why they couldn't fix it in the first place. I offered to pay for the repair. It took me all of ten minutes to take the camera apart and unscrew the lens off, and I have never even done it before. All they need to do is get a lens off the shelf, send it to me, and charge my credit card. I don't see what the big deal is. I sent them another email a little while ago begging them to sell me a lens. I hate to see the camera just sitting there when all I have to do is screw another lens on it. So far I have been nice about it with my emails, but I am getting ready to change my tune. How hard can it be to sell me a lens? I don't get it. It is bad enough that they can't list a phone number on their web page. Does anybody have a phone number for them or an email address for the CEO? This is rediculus.
Munirider

Postby Munirider » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am

I am getting closer on what lens it is. It is called an M12x5 mount for a 1/3" CCD. I believe it is 2.8mm lens. Now I just have to find one with an infrared filter. The barrel with the threads on it is 1/2" round and the threads are 1/2" long.
Munirider

Postby ThMu » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Munirider wrote:I am getting closer on what lens it is. It is called an M12x5 mount for a 1/3" CCD. I believe it is 2.8mm lens. Now I just have to find one with an infrared filter. The barrel with the threads on it is 1/2" round and the threads are 1/2" long.

Ah, just as I assumed secretly. But to be a smart ass: It should be called M12x0.5
M12 is a metric thread. Thus its preferable to measure it in milimeter instead of inches.
Other names are "s-mount lens", sometimes also called "board mount camera lens".
ThMu

Next

Return to Old Forum Topics - HD1, HD2 & HD3