Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

SD Card Issues and Video/Photo Loss

Discuss the GoPro Hero3 White & Silver + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting

SD Card Issues and Video/Photo Loss

Postby jimmyd14 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:31 am

So I'm a noob with both Go Pro Cameras and this forum.

Basically, I used my 32 GB PNY SD Card to transfer some files from my old Windows laptop to my new MacBook. This may have caused a formatting error, but I had done with my old laptop to hold stuff before and no problem.

Either way, after plugging it into my new Mac last night I deleted all the old stuff off of the SD card as well as some new photos I had just transferred to my Mac. It was completely clean and ready to use.

So today I went out riding and brought the camera with me. After taking a roughly 18 minute clip and a couple of photos, I turned the camera off to conserve battery as I wouldn't be able to charge it anytime soon (I was out on a 20 mile ride with stops, etc.). When I turned it back on to snap another photo, it said "SD ERR." I quickly researched a way to bypass via Iphone to get the shot and did a reformatting (knowing I'd probably lose the previous footage).

After that I was able to take a photo and turned off my camera again. The next time I went to take a video I noticed that it had reset my photo number back to 0, which I thought was strange. Either way, every time I went to take a photo/video after it was at 0 when I turned it on. I've kind of assumed I've lost the previous footage forever, but I'm running one of those recovery programs to see if I can get any of it back now. What are the chances it gets anything?

My question really is how do I solve the current issue of format/glitching thing with the camera. If the footage/photos I shot today are gone, well then so be it, but how do I make sure this doesn't happen again?

Sorry if this is a repost but I didn't see this exact problem anywhere else.

Thanks for any help.
jimmyd14

Re: SD Card Issues and Video/Photo Loss

Postby steve_t » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:40 am

1. Get a MicroSD card from the GoPro recommended cards list - http://gopro.com/support/articles/softw ... te-release

2. Always use the "delete all / format" function in the GoPro before a new recording session. It will set up the FAT and directory structure properly and prevent these sorts of problems again
steve_t

Postby jimmyd14 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:50 am

It doesn't list any specific cards for the silver though. Unless you meant the ones they listed for the Black Edition.

Any idea if retrieval programs can help? PS. The proper way to do the "delete all/format function", is obviously going into the settings, etc. But do I need to take a photo right away to make sure it completes?
jimmyd14

Postby steve_t » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 am

Yeah, actually, if you speed test your card, you should be able to tell if it's OK to use. See other forum threads for information on card testing.

Yes, data recovery is possible if the data hasn't been overwritten. If the FAT is the only thing deleted, the data is still there and able to be recovered. If it has been overwritten, it's gone.
Yes, "delete all / format" through the settings every time and no, you don't need to take a photo. That's just GoPro's recommendation for doing firmware updates
steve_t

Postby suryaprihadi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:11 am

jimmyd14 wrote:
Any idea if retrieval programs can help? P

DATA RECOVERY
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

CARD, faster is better, regardless what camera u use. Card get slower over time , not any faster.
Too many crappy MICRO-SDHC around, so shop well and fast ones = less trouble.

Have fun...
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby jimmyd14 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 pm

So I've looked into my SD card, and I think it's fine for now.

However, after doing a hard reset on the camera to restore factory settings, it seems I can't record more than one video at a time. If I take a video or two, turn the camera off and turn it back on a little while later it lists the video count at 1 (when it previously listed it as 2).

I never had any issues with my Go Pro before now. Is this a problem with Micro SD card? At this point is it worth to try and fix it or should I just buy a new SD card? Or maybe is this a problem with the firmware in the camera?
jimmyd14

Postby jimmyd14 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Strike that, now when I turn it on, none of the test videos/photos are there.
jimmyd14

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:08 am

jimmyd14 wrote:So I've looked into my SD card, and I think it's fine for now.

However, after doing a hard reset on the camera to restore factory settings, it seems I can't record more than one video at a time. If I take a video or two, turn the camera off and turn it back on a little while later it lists the video count at 1 (when it previously listed it as 2).

I never had any issues with my Go Pro before now. Is this a problem with Micro SD card? At this point is it worth to try and fix it or should I just buy a new SD card? Or maybe is this a problem with the firmware in the camera?

Any video longer than 3.66GB file size, will get a 2nd file called extended file, but GoPro will show it as 1 file on its front LCD.
Upon inspecting the memory card with a PC, then you can see that extra file with additional GOPRO1xxxx"

AA. First change a new SD card, why waste your time doing checks with no reference at all. Reference is a good known card.
BB. Camera can be also problematic, sure. Try to update latest 31st July firmware first.

Only recently having issues with file in a memory card is usually CARD PROBLEM. Not always but usually.
Could be the card aging fast because it is defective or crappy quality. Such problem I find also on PATRIOT brands which is totally piece-of-SHI-ET.

I did not read that you confirm to adhere to the good practice for memory card as explained by Steve :

2. Always use the "delete all / format" function in the GoPro before a new recording session. It will set up the FAT and directory structure properly and prevent these sorts of problems again

If indeed the card was the culprit, where did you buy it from ? Was it cheaper than usual retail ?
Many times it is not technical problem, its the problem of fake/crappy cards

I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby jimmyd14 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:28 am

It just seems that every time I turn off the camera and then turn it back on, either the card or the camera is deleting everything on the card.

I never did practice the "delete all/format" before but no issues came up. It's a PNY card, so it's not name brand per se, but it's also not crap.

I just don't want to buy a new card and have the same problem if its some kind of formatting or problem with the camera.

Before this issue; I was able to copy the items to my laptop, delete the items off the card via computer, and then continue using the camera as normal.

Now I can't seem to use it at all. I just want to be able to turn it off and then turn it on again to conserve power in between sessions, or are you saying that's not possible?
jimmyd14

Postby mikerb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 am

You are mayube lucky to have had no problems until now given the way you use your SD card. Gopro is very particular about its relationship with its SD card.
1. don't use the gopro SD card in any other device
2. dont' delete files off the SD card with a PC......put the SD card back into the Gopro in exactly the same format as when you took it out.
3. always "delete all" as the first thing you do when you re insert the SD card into Gopro. As long as the card stays in Gopro you can switch off and on etc as many times as you like. If you remove the card...that is the end of the session.....when you put the card back in use "delete all".
4. don't connect Gopro to a PC....remove the SD card and use a card reader.

I suggest you bin the card you have which is likely corrupted for Gopro purposes now. Start with a clean card and follow the advice above. If you still have problems you may well have corrupted your firmware so you will need to reflash.
mikerb

Next

Return to GoPro Hero3 White & Silver Editions