Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Smatree double suction cup mount

This section is for PRODUCT REVIEWS done by GoProUserForum Admins. If your company would like to be included here, please PM RAMBO for details.

Smatree double suction cup mount

Postby bcharlow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 pm

This is a really nice little piece of gear for mounting to flat surfaces. As with all Smatree products, it's well designed, elegant, functional, sturdy, and even the packaging is neat! I like the double suction cup design. There are several nice design touches: the integrated nut on the tripod mount, easy to use and sturdy levers to activate suction, a ball head that really works and can be tightened down to hold fast, the integral extension arm.
Even though the individual cups are smaller than the single cup OEM version, the total area is more than sufficient. They hold incredibly well - very solid mounting. In fact, having one extra cup just might save your camera if the other one ever comes loose, and suction cups can come loose if the seal isn't quite perfect.
Just be aware that this unit is not like some other doubles on the market in that it will not work on curved surfaces. The manufacturer confirms that it wasn't designed for curved surface mounting, just flat smooth planes.
Smatree has yet another winner in their product line!
bcharlow

Re: Smatree double suction cup mount

Postby R GoPro » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:58 am

I just got mine and look forward to giving it a try also.
It is well designed, just like all their products I've seen. Got to like a company who make the product for function and not just for profit.
R GoPro

Postby X5rdman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I just received mine and had a chance to play around with it. Seems to be another solid build from Smartree.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PQ4ACQ2

All of the plastics pieces are very solid, the arm has zero give when I tried to bend it.
The ball socket to give that extra camera angle adjustment is a great option I don't have on the orginal Gopro suction mount. Again a very solid build feature.

Plenty of places to add a safety line if not attaching direct to the camera. And of course since it has a standard 1/4 20 screw mount, well you can attach most pther cameras!

The only thing that dumbfounded me for a moment was why the included tripod gopro mount did not have a place to put the crown nut that was included with the thumbscrew, then I relized the tripod mount had a nut already included but hidden behind a sticker to cover it up. So guess the crown nut was just extra.

It held up great on my quick drive around the neighborhood, I look forward to trying it out at highway speeds, I am sure it will hold up just fine.

Overall a great product, just as everything else I have tried from Smartree!!!
X5rdman

Postby mikemayer813 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:17 am

Ok, I received mine over a week ago and finally got around to taking a close look at it. Overall, for generally flat surfaces, or even slightly curved surfaces, it holds pretty good, and there is plenty of adjust-ability for camera orientation. The only problem I saw when comparing it to my RAM single suction cup, was that surfaces that have significant curvature like my jet ski do not work well since the dual suction cups don't have that degree of freedom to move much from a flat position (which would be a fairly easy design change and a nice feature). I would also leave the sticker off, nice touch, but it didn't stay on long with mine and got lost pretty quick. Sticking power on a good surface is very solid, and with the dual cups, seems a bit more stable and less vibration prone than my single Ram s/c. Would I buy this product??? Absolutely, it may not work on the significant 3D surfaces of my jet ski, but should work great in most other applications.
mikemayer813

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:22 am

I got mine last week too and really liked it. I am already a fan of Smatree and the stuff they build. I have been using mine in the car to see how it would hold up to use as a dash cam. Stuck it on the windshield last week and it has not budged. I am affixing my camera every morning for the ride to work and it has been really solid. I agree on the double suction mounts that seem to give the mount a bit more stability. Camera footage is does not vibrate or wiggle. Great job Smatree.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Product Reviews