Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

software to create blu ray in 720p60 format ??

This Old Forum is now locked but ARCHIVED, if anyone wants a thread resurrected, let us know and it will be transferred to the Updated Forums.

software to create blu ray in 720p60 format ??

Postby jcalis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Has anyone been able to take 720p60 and create a blu ray disc in this format? Every product I have tried has very limited options for output to disc. Most will only allow 1080i and 1440i as authoring options. Pinnacle 14, Vegas 8c, Corel video studio pro x3, and Power producer all seem to have this (or other) limitations when creating a blu ray disc. The results of converting 720p60 to 1080i are horrible. The best results I can get is converting to 720p30 first and then authoring the 1080i from that.

Why does every company seem to ignore this 720p60 blu ray standard?
jcalis

Re: software to create blu ray in 720p60 format ??

Postby Rambo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Just export as 720p60 wmv, AVCHD, MPEG2, M2TS anything you like and playback with WD Hardware Media Player, BlueRay is on the way out.

r
Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Gon'Feel GPS & PHYSICS OVERLAYS on your VIDEOS - NEW
Spinpod : TimeLapse Motion System
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW
AccessoryHero UK - FlowMow
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Greg_E » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:09 pm

The only software that claims 100% BD compliance comes from Sonic, the only close to affordable application is BD Power Station, I think it sells for around $2500.
http://www.sonic.com/products/Professio ... klook.aspx

Looks like really nice stuff, trying to put this in place at work instead of DVD Studio Pro.
http://transportcontrols.com
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby jcalis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm

So nothing a mere mortal can afford? I will be giving out "copies" to friends as 720p30 avi files as everyone can store and play them on their PC's. I was looking for another option for distributing (and an easy route to playback on the living room "big screen") for them. Most of them already own a bd player connected to a LCD or plasma tv so why not use it? Anything interlaced is out of the question, so I guess blu ray authoring for end users is impossible. it's funny, you can find dozens of free and commercially affordable solutions for DVD creation, but not for blu ray. It must be a complicated, mysterious, phd level item that must be kept secretly locked away for Hollywood use (abuse) only.
jcalis

Postby Greg_E » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 am

You could check out DVD Architect 5 and Vegas pro 9, they claim to be able to do BD disks but I have not checked out the features.

And in reality BD Powerstation is cheap, previously their cheapest application was somewhere in the $50,000 and up range depending on hardware, so $2,500 is a bargain to gain most of the functionality.
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby DeeG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:58 am

I am not sure about 720p60 on disk, but I have had good luck burning 1080i60 AVCHD on DVD disks which play on a BluRay player. 1080i has pretty good quality for delivery as long as you don't loose it before you get there. The biggest hurdle is getting your 60p source in to an editor and keeping it through the edit process. Many editors won't handle 60p source - they drop it to 30p - so you are hosed before you start. Here is the workflow that works for me:

1) Transcode GoPro clips to AVI (use Cineform Neoscene ($100) or Avidemux (free)) - See numerous posts by Rambo for details.

2) Import AVI in to Sony Vegas Movie Studio ($80). Set the project to match the clip properties (again, see Ramob's posts). This is key to keeping 60p. Note: Pinnacle Studio and Apple Final Cut Express seem to drop to 30p - I haven't tried other editors.

3) Edit as desired. All editing is done with your 60p source, so slow motion and pan/zoom effects look great.

4) Render (Make Movie) as Sony AVC 1920x1080 29.97fps .m2ts file. This looses the 60p but keeps smooth motion with 60i - it just has interlace artifacts which are mostly visible if you pause playback. If I understand it correctly, this .m2ts file is in the AVCHD format needed for BluRay playback.

5) Use Roxio MyDVD for disk authoring. It will allow you to customize your menu, add chapters, etc. From your .m2ts files you can burn standard DVD disks, AVCHD disks (which is what I currently use because I don't yet have a BluRay player), or BluRay. Note: Sony DVD Architect will not support HD (at least not yet).

It has taken me about a month to develop a workflow that works from camera to disk, but I am now pretty happy with the results.

EDIT: I should note that my comments regarding DVD Architect not supporting BluRay apply to the consumer version - not the pro version. I downloaded the trial version of DVD Architect Studio and it had no support for HD.
Last edited by DeeG on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeeG

Postby Greg_E » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:05 am

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/bluray
Professional Blu-ray Disc Authoring
Author movies on high-definition Blu-ray Disc™ as easily as authoring DVDs with DVD Architect Pro 5 software. DVD Architect Pro 5 software enables independent producers and videographers to author a high-definition Blu-ray Disc, complete with full motion buttons, motion menus, scene selection menus, subtitles, and alternate video and audio tracks. With DVD Architect Pro 5 software you can author a project once, then choose to burn a Blu-ray Disc or a standard-definition DVD.

and

Burn Blu-ray Disc media directly from the Vegas Pro timeline
With Vegas Pro 9 software you can burn a Blu-ray Disc directly from the timeline. Blu-ray Disc burning allows you to create a disc similar to a "single movie" DVD — the movie has no titles, menus, or buttons. Blu-ray Disc burning in Vegas Pro 9 software provides an alternate distribution option for high-definition content, rather than traditional file-based hard disk or streaming media formats. You can also use the Blu-ray Disc burning feature to create high-definition discs that can playback on a set-top Blu-ray Disc player or on a Sony PS3 gaming system.

Since I don't own either one right now, I can only go by what they claim. I do know that compatibility with different players is still very much a question.
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby nosnoop » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 am

Check out Edius Neo 2 Booster.

It seems to have the best 720p60 support as well as 24p support, you can also change the frame rate for each individual clip, and you can mix different resolution and frame rate source. I haven't had time to install the trial version from their web site, but you can check it out. I believe it can output Blu-Ray at 720p60, though I am not 100% sure on this.

So far, many users are very impressed with its output. OTOH, it is pretty weak in the authoring area. No motion menu, and no AVCHD disc output.
This is a basic package of its more expensive pro offering. It is priced at $199.
nosnoop

Postby jcalis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

I will take a look and see if it can do 60p. I will keep trying the others to see if I can find a decent output to blu-ray. So far it's not looking too good. I can actually create a AVCHD (DVD) that looks far better than the blu-ray offerings from the same software (pinnacle 14).
It is a shame to see such crippled blu-ray options on the popular editors.
jcalis

Postby Greg_E » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm

You could try asking Sonic, they license the tech to Sony for DVD architect (actually created by Sonic for Sony).The upgrade from Vegas 8 to vegas pro 9 shouldn't be too much money.
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Return to Old Forum Topics - Questions, Problems and Observations - HD1, HD2 & HD3