Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Stickie - Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Re: My Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Postby painteur » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:47 am

Yep that's it. Off to the hardware store! :D
painteur

Postby janmartin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:25 am

Hi Rambo,

I wonder if one can wire 4 GoPro HD together to be released at once to take still images for panoramas?

We have this camera setup:

To take panoramic images like this (click for full size):

I guess electrically all it needs is to close a switch?
There are programmable Intervallometers available for 25 $US one could use (not water-proved):

At the moment I am using the Intervallometer and an extra battery to release 2 Canon A570 IS cameras every 10 seconds to take panoramas while driving.

Check out 4x GoPro HD digital cameras make for nice panoramas with lots of infos.

Thanks,
Jan
janmartin

Postby halley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:54 am

I was just thinking of this yesterday, your results look great. Maybe it's just this sample, but I'm surprised at how little you can see the parallax blending at the corners of each shot, even at the grass below the camera bundle.

So far I have been unable to determine if the bus connector exposes the shutter switch contacts. The way you've arranged your four cameras, you can't get to the bus connectors anyway.

Since the GoPro has its own intervalometer mode, you can make a physical "push four buttons" rig to get the ball rolling. It would look like a square hole with four little plastic levers. Insert the camera, the levers all push their buttons, and the cameras start recording. You could make a rig for shutter buttons, and then another rig for mode buttons. Experiment with Lego Technic blocks or similar toys. Over the course of the day, you may see some time drift because no two timer crystals or circuits are identical.
halley

Postby janmartin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 am

Hi halley,

thanks for the compliments.

Actually we are not looking for the bus contacts. I'd like to know how Rambo wired his remotes to his cameras.
Then do it the same way. I guess he connected the wires directly to the buttons?

A mechanical solution for release is out of the question because Matt needs this rig for hiking. It must be very rugged.
Time drift is no issue when using an external Intervallometer for all 4 cameras.

Jan
janmartin

Postby halley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:24 am

Well, yes, if you want to remove the cases, the shutter switches are all very simple. You could solder in wires and make a gang switch easily. One wire will be the "live" (either connected directly to ground or riding at a couple volts) and the other the "sense," probably pulled 10k ohms from the opposite rail. I still think you could make a rig that is very compact and lightweight, but barring that, four cameras with two fingers on each hand...
halley

Postby janmartin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:18 am

Rambo,

do you know this?
Can I have just one switch to wire all 4 cameras to?
For this kind of panoramas it's essential to release the cameras very synchronized.

Jan
janmartin

Postby Rambo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 am

On the NON HD models, all i did was solder very small flexible hookup wire to each side of the switch, but there's one small problem. The recording is triggered on the release of the button not when you press it so i had to have normally closed relay contacts shorting the record switch even when the Gopro was in power off mode,

My timers were very simple, i had 2 AA batteries in the external case which gave the Gopro 5 - 6hrs runtime (the AAA's in the Gopro were not used) . There was also a 9v battery connected to a discharge circuit consisting of a large wattage low ohms resistor and relay. The resistor value determined how long the sacrificial 9v battery took to drop in voltage (go flat) before the relay will drop out and open the contacts connected to the Gopro record switch. (very primitive but very reliable) Some were 1hour delay, some 2-3hour etc..

The HD Gopro i think is different, it starts recording on pressing the record button, so your project should be simply soldering 2 wires to the switch and connecting to the intervalometer. I'm assuming the intervalometer is a simple short cct output, but could have a resistance in series, you would need to check this but probably won't make a difference.

Good luck with the project
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby davisstraub » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45 am

davisstraub

Re: Stickie - Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Postby Dirt Productions » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Rambo,
Any chance you could divulge how you made the remote controls for the Go Pro and the parts needed? This would be a God send for me if I can get remotes on them. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Dirt Productions

Re: Stickie - Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Postby tvphotog » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for all your great advice and tips, especially the info about the new 'one button' firmware'
That really solved my remote trigger design problems.
The solenoid i tried wasn't strong enough to activate the record button (wonder what size would work?) so
now I think I can get a motor/cam gear to work.
I am trying to make a rig on a timer that will activate twelve hours later and I really don't want to go inside
the camera to do it.
tvphotog

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models