Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Stickie - Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Stickie - Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Postby Rambo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:06 pm

GoPro Camera Customizations

I've been a busy boy these last couple of weeks modifying and customizing a batch of GoPro Cameras incorporation wireless remote control and 2 types of delay timers in preparation for filming the Hamilton Island Cup. As i will also be paddling in all the events, i need to be able to have most of the Canoe Mounted Cams turn on and record at different parts of the course automatically, except the radio control type which will be controlled from the support boat.

This is what i have so far.
Have now finished and on water tested all three modified versions.

The first picture is obviously the remote control version.
The transmitter has a range of 500metres LOS and the four buttons have the following functions.
A - Powers Up/Down the GoPro and steps through menu.
B - Record On/Off and sets menu choices.
C & D do the same as A & B but on a different channel, that way I can control 2 GoPros independently or as many Cams as I want on each channel from just the 1 transmitter.

The second picture is the delay timers Type 1 and 2.

Type 1 will turn on the GoPro and activate record 5 seconds later.
Type 2 will turn on record only but it has AA Batteries in the box instead of AAA so will last 5 hours plus.

Both can be delay set from 1 min and up to 5 hours.
All totally waterproof and can take some rugged treatment.

There are 6 R/C type and 3 each of the delay timer Types.

Also some new mounts
Suction cup Mount
Velcro Mount
Manu Mount (front or rear of OC6 Mirage Outrigger canoe)
I'll add details of the construction soon (Be aware that modifying your GoPro in any way will most likely void your warranty)
Cheers Rambo
Rambo
Site Admin

Re: My Delay Timers and Radio Control GoPros

Postby JerryB » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:02 am

Rambo.......

looks like youve been hard at work in mods to the camera.

I would like to add a power cable and use a small 12v DC to 2.4v voltage converter (which I have). Question is how critical is the 2.4v. I noticed your post about the 1.2V vs the 1.4V batteries in another thread, thus my concern. What I am attempting is to simplify bu eliminating charging and replacing batteries..........
and..........
I would really like to remote trigger the camera. Belted in the car it is impossible to turn on the camera. Is there a practical or easy way?

Your thoughts please.
JerryB

Postby Rambo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 am

Up to 3v will be fine, rechargeables are 1.35v when fresh out of the charger but quickly drop to 1.2 and hold.

The easiest remote trigger is a mechanical one that presses the record button, can be servo motor, air pump, solenoid, wire cable (from a digital camera) etc. Otherwise if you are good with a small soldering iron you can attach two wires to the contacts on the record button route the cable through the case and trip the record button with a short circuit. This can be a relay or just a simple on off button/switch. Be careful with the soldering iron, obviously if you do this you void your warranty.

The timers i made above supply power from 2 AA batteries rather than the AAA internal and the record buttons are tripped by time controlled relay.

Cheers Rambo
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby JerryB » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 am

Thanks the reply....
I have a ready source of 12 vdc from the car battery and a small selectable transformer......I was just worried about the micro mini soldering in the cam......but no worries!

JB
JerryB

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 am

An easy way to connect external power is to use "Dummy" batteries, you don't have to modify the gopro that way. See picture below. These are just plastic wall plugs with a screw and wire attached. The battery holder is for AA batteries. You only need a screw on one end, they make contact with the GoPro battery springs on the + and - end.

Cheers Rambo
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby Brian S » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:36 am

Rambo,
Are you planning to post any details about your timers and remotes? (schematics, etc.)
brian
Brian S

Postby painteur » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Rambo,
love your stuff as always. I have already 3 hero cams 1 is a wide angle. I like the idea for delayed timers since I plan to film all races in the SoCal winter series. My problem is that I get everything in the first hour but nothing of sometimes exciting finishes. Same thing on our dume runs. The first 20-30 minutes we have to go sideways and then hit the bombing runs which I'd like to show off. I have my rotating mount (2 revs per minute) working well by now and I'll get probably 2 more wide angles mounted on top of my iako post where the rotator is located. Ideally everything should be interchangeble and that's why I'm hesitant to go in deep (soldering). If you could give me some drawing, schematic... of your time delay triggered by physical means I'd be happy.
painteur
painteur

Postby Rambo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:42 am

Painteur, you can use a simple solenoid or a servo from a RC model plane or at the simplest a spring loaded lever with a pin like a grenade and then you just pull on a string and dislodge the pin causing the lever to press down the record button. The record button can be left depressed, the cam will continue to record till the card fills up. This can be mounted onto the GoPro or on something the cam is attached to if you want to leave the cam original.

This is one idea, obviously many variations

Cheers Rambo
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby painteur » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Got it, thanks Rambo. Last question. Obviously the camera has to be turned on for the simple spring-load to work. I really like that idea. Simple and effective. How long will the camera stay on before it shuts itself down without having triggered it?
painteur

Next

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models