Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Stickie - Lens Protection & Fogging

NEW MEMBERS - Please read and follow these VERY SHORT FAQs and Rules, it makes a more pleasant experience for everyone. THANK YOU.

Stickie - Lens Protection & Fogging

Postby Rambo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 am

Two things that will ruin your video more than anything else, water droplets or dried salt on the lens and fogging from the inside caused by the heat generated by the GoPro and cool air outside.

Here's the proven solution

1. Apply "RainX" to the outside glass lens by covering the lens with the liquid and letting it soak in. Then wipe the excess off with a clean rag and let dry. Reapply each time you use the cam. RainX can be purchased from Auto Parts stores.

2. If you experience fogging from the inside, apply anti-fog solution to the inside glass lens, one application usually lasts quite a while. Available from auto parts stores or eye wear shops.
Rambo
Site Admin

Re: Stickie:Lens Protection

Postby clarkie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Rambo wrote:Two things that will ruin your video more than anything else, water droplets or dried salt on the lens and fogging from the inside caused by the heat generated by the GoPro and cool air outside.

Here's the proven solution

1. Apply "RainX" to the outside glass lens by covering the lens with the liquid and letting it soak in. Then wipe the excess off with a clean rag and let dry. Reapply each time you use the cam. RainX can be purchased from Auto Parts stores.

2. If you experience fogging from the inside, apply anti-fog solution to the inside glass lens, one application usually lasts quite a while. Available from auto parts stores or eye wear shops.

Also if you have moisture in the case causing fogging, save the little sachet's in the bottom of pill bottles and stick them in the case and close it up (without the camera of course), the crystals in the sachet will suck in the moisture left in the case, leave the camera itself in warm dry air. Put the camera back in the case with clean DRY hands.
Clarkie
Inland Outriggers Go Pro Holics
clarkie

Postby chirojoseph » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Rambo...this is an important thread for me...in just 4 sessions ive lost over 3 hours of sweet pics and videos due to fogging. im kiting in cancun...so not cold ever..just alot of moisture in the air. Is it not possible to maybe cut one of those dessicant sachets in two and try to fit them in WITH the camera and leave them there??

if the kite sits face down parked on beach for 30 minutes in the sun, you think it just gets so hot in the box that the moisture will always come out onto the lens...maybe the sachets cant even suck up tht much moisture!
ive got to fix this problem quick, its breaking my heart all the killer shots that i know are right there under all the hazy fog..

you mentioned RAINX ON THE outside of the lens...and a (different?) anti fog solution applied to the INSIDE of the lens...like the squirts we use on our diving masks? or some other brand of anti fog? or the same RAINX?

thanx for any tips bro....the videos from up on the kite on our caribe blue are pretty sick..
http://www.vimeo.com/7905132

kyrojoe
chirojoseph

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 pm

The antifog is made by the same people as RainX. Try blowing cold dry air into the open case for a while in front of the aircon vent in your car then quickly close the case, this works in high humidity areas.

As a last resort and this is at your own risk, drill a 5mm hole in the top of the case and glue a 10mm patch of "Gortex"fabric over the hole. Gortex is what snow clothing and gloves are made of, cut a piece without ruining the garment.It allows the case to breath air but blocks water ingress. I have personally done this to my Gopros.

Your vids are awesome.

Cheers Rambo
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:38 am

[quote="Rambo"]The antifog is made by the same people as RainX. Try blowing cold dry air into the open case for a while in front of the aircon vent in your car then quickly close the case, this works in high humidity areas.

As a last resort and this is at your own risk, drill a 5mm hole in the top of the case and glue a 10mm patch of "Gortex"fabric over the hole. Gortex is what snow clothing and gloves are made of, cut a piece without ruining the garment.It allows the case to breath air but blocks water ingress. I have personally done this to my Gopros.

ok...the aircon in the car idea sounds pretty good...but since i want to use the camera for snorkle and diving I think ill pass on the hole drilling operation...if and when i get a second housing someday maybe ill try thatl....but seeing as how GOPRO seems to be listening to their customers i would expect some sort of change in the new cases..maybe they should leave a little space in the housing dedicated to the Dessicant sachets?? and we could put new sachet in each time we use??

my question once again is the following...

would it do any good to have the dessicant inside the housing with the camera as its filming or would we end up with condensation anyway? I was suprised the amount of water droplets on the inside of lens while the paper towel pieces i had enclosed also remained completely dry..makes me think the dessicant would almost have to be in the little bubble part of the case to work!

I will be trying both the RainX and the aircon solutions next time.
thanx
joseph
chirojoseph

Postby Rambo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Joseph, there's not doubt sachets will work to some extent as well as bicarbonate of soda powder, the problem is the big protruding lens cover catches all the sunlight so the fog appears here first. What i have done on the Std angle Gopros is to fix a lens hood (made out of pvc conduit) over the lens ring. I have not tried this with the wide angle but it would still work if you cut tulip shape on the outer edge so it won't vignette. (paint the inside flat black) As a aid to exposure control, you can deliberately cause vignetting and then crop the video in post to eliminate the dark edges. I do this when i need brighter foregrounds when the backgrounds are bright (into the sky or near sun)

Hope this helps.

Cheers Rambo
Rambo
Site Admin

Stickie - GoPro Anti Fog Inserts now available

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:54 am

From GoPro

We have now released and Anti-Fog Insert accessory.

It will help to prevent your camera's housing from fogging, even in cold temperatures/humid environments. At $14.99, it truly is a great value. The kit includes 3 sets of anti-fog inserts. Each set lasts 4-5 uses and can be dried in an oven (3 minutes) and used again.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=37

Rambo
Site Admin

Re: Stickie - GoPro Anti Fog Inserts now available

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Are these available in Aus?

Was going to order from the gopro website but it estimates shipping of $56.13 USD!
Rick

Next

Return to General Forum FAQs and Posting Rules