Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Stuttering playback in view and trim only.

Discuss the GoPro Hero4 Silver Here

Stuttering playback in view and trim only.

Postby Kennykenn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:47 am

Hi can anyone help. I have a gopro hero 4silver and My gopro videos all play fine on my laptop with no issues. The only time I get an issue is in the gopro studio on the view and trim section it just jumps,stutters and slows down. Iv tried uninstalling and installing gopro studio again and this doesn't work. It makes it impossible to trim my videos down for the best bits. But surely if my videos all work fine only only goes funny on studio it's not a issue with the laptop?

Thanks
Kennykenn

Re: Stuttering playback in view and trim only.

Postby suryaprihadi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:33 pm

GoPro Studio is an editor, so it is CPU heavy. Its normal for viewing to slow down. It is CPU capability dependent too. If say you have powerful PC, that will help.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Kennykenn » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks for reply. I brought my laptop on advice from pc world to specifically use it for my gopro hero 4. And it playback fine everywhere apart from when trimming it. Even once iv trimmed it it works normal.
Kennykenn

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Well that is the way it is with video editing, as it is not viewing ( simple plyaback ) per se, but sort of rendering when viewing cut clips. Rendering is like manipulating, its intensive work for CPU. Laptop is laptop, it can not be as powerful as a PC/Desktop. If your laptop is a workstation grade, that is not bad, but better 6 or 8 core CPU of a PC if smoothest viewing a time line is what you seek. GoPro studio purely uses CPU and none of GPU ( video card ) at all, hence powerful CPU has benefits.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:40 am

Here is a good article on understanding rendering. It was written for Adobe Premiere Pro editor but the concept is the same for GoPro Studio.

In the context of computer graphics, rendering is the creation of an image from a set of inputs. This essentially refers to the creation of the frames in a sequence from the decoded source media for the clips, any transformations or interpretations done to fit the source media into a sequence, and the effects applied to the clips.

For clips based on simple source media that match the sequence settings and have only simple effects applied, Premiere Pro can render the frames that make up the sequence in real time. Premiere Pro caches these results so that it doesn’t unnecessarily redo work when you revisit a frame.

For more complex sets of effects and more difficult source media, Premiere Pro can’t always render the frames of the sequence as fast as needed to play them back in real time. To play these frames in real time, they need to be processed and saved ahead of time, so that they can be read back and played instead of being recalculated on the fly. The creation of these frames to be saved for rapid playback is what is meant by rendering a preview.

By the way, it’s common but confusing and misleading jargon to refer to rendering of previews as rendering all by itself. Rendering for display, rendering for final output, rendering for previews—these are all valid uses of the word rendering. Don’t fall into the trap of using this general term to refer only to the specific case of rendering for the purpose of creating preview files for real-time playback.

Note: Rendering of previews is only for preview purposes. Preview files will not be used for final output unless you have Use Previews option checked on output—which you should not use except in the case of rough previews. Using preview files for final output will in almost all cases cause a decrease in quality. It can speed things up in some cases, so it may be useful for creating a rough preview in less time.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Kennykenn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks all for reply and help. Much appreciated.
Kennykenn

Return to GoPro Hero4 Silver