Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Text overlay from a script or GPS data file?

This Old Forum is now locked but ARCHIVED, if anyone wants a thread resurrected, let us know and it will be transferred to the Updated Forums.

Text overlay from a script or GPS data file?

Postby jasper9 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 pm

This is a little vague of a question, but does anyone know of a way to overlay data from either a script or a GPS data file of any sort on a video and have it be synced up.

Thought of this when reading about how people a few years ago would sync up the time on a GPS unit and a digital camera before they shoot pictures for a day. When done you can plug it into certain programs to do fun stuff with since the pictures store the exact time of day in them.

If you could some how do the same with a video file - i would love to be able to place certain OTHER data from a cycling GPS unit (speed, cadence, power) onto the end result video file... granted you wouldn't be able to edit the video much. And i'm not sure if the timestamp of the video file is the actual time it was taken or ended.
jasper9

Re: Text overlay from a script or GPS data file?

Postby jasper9 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:43 pm

kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvOmYrGBnU

this guy did quite a hack though - transparent background of a video taken of a playback of the gps data from Garmin's software
jasper9

Postby m.klinge » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 pm

You might be able to find what youre looking for here: http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/v ... 577#p84577

I dont understand all of it but it does what you want to do i guess :)

//M
m.klinge

Postby ZXNinja » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Have a look at this thread:
racechrono-and-racechrono2avi-t305.html

You can use the "Chroma Key" function in Sony Vegas to get a transparent background for the overlay video.
My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/smf1ken/videos
ZXNinja

Postby Rambo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 pm

I did this heart rate and radar overlay some years ago all on a GoPro STD3Mp while paddling and catching wind waves on an outrigger canoe.

[blip]gcEezbhZAg[/blip]
Rambo
Site Admin

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models