Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

The Old Man of Stoer

General Outdoors, Cycling, Kites, Skateboards, Hunting etc. No camera issues please.

The Old Man of Stoer

Postby chdslDave » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Good afternoon and warm greetings on a cool grey day in Bristol

Here's a short video I made about a recent trip to climb and film the classic Old Man of Stoer sea stack in the beautiful region of Sutherland in the Far North West of Scotland.
One of the "Big 3" stacks in Scotland much coveted by climbers, along with Am Buchaille and the Old Man of Hoy, this Old Man is reputed by many to be the finest of them all. Often with sea stacks you can sacrifice a bit of quality of climbing what with the associated guano, sea cabbages plus loose rock for the sake of adventure, but this is certainly not the case with this sandstone Torridonian beauty and it is an absolute delight to climb. So with an "exciting scramble" for the descent followed by a Tyrolean Traverse for maximum adrenaline flow, the classic Original Route comprises 5 magical pitches of superbly rough grained climbing to the top of this 60 metre high behemoth.
Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short video featuring Tyrolean Traverses, time lapses, seals, sandstone shenanigans, eye-popping exposure plus some aerial drone footage then this is the story of our day:

All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will brighten up your day over a lunch or tea break with a brew and hobnob! :)

Happy Friday! :-)

Dave
chdslDave

Re: The Old Man of Stoer

Postby Jatekman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Great vid and great performance from all!

Ciao Rob
Jatekman

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:02 am

Video is really good but at 11 minutes it is a bit long for casual viewers. I am not sure who your intended audience is. On a forum like this is is a bit long. I also kind of felt that the video could have easily been condensed to some tighter editing. I would have liked to see more perspective of the old man with the drone shooting up at the rock. While the over heads are cool that don't emphasis the massiveness of the rock.

But I liked the video and I appreciate you sharing it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby chdslDave » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Jatekman wrote:Great vid and great performance from all!

Ciao Rob

Apologies for the delay in responding as I have been away but thanks a million Rob for your kind words! :)
Cheers
Dave
chdslDave

Postby chdslDave » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:56 pm

sidd finch wrote:Video is really good but at 11 minutes it is a bit long for casual viewers. I am not sure who your intended audience is. On a forum like this is is a bit long. I also kind of felt that the video could have easily been condensed to some tighter editing. I would have liked to see more perspective of the old man with the drone shooting up at the rock. While the over heads are cool that don't emphasis the massiveness of the rock.

But I liked the video and I appreciate you sharing it.

Sidd

Apologies for the delay in responding Sidd as I have been away but many thanks for taking the time to post some constuctive critique! I'm sorry you find the vid a bit long and I guess my intended audience would be climbers and if a few casual viewers enjoy the video too then that is all good. It was my intention to fly Arnie close and personal up the route of the Old Man, but I was rather knackered + dehydrated from running around on a very hot day, carrying and setting up all the gear and then doing the climb itself that I did not trust myself to fly my expensive drone too close to the stack! :)
Cheers
Dave
chdslDave

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:36 am

Dave, Understood about not wanting to crash your quad. I would be too paranoid to even fly over water to begin with. But I did enjoy the video as I thought overall it was really well done...... Make more.... lol

What I think you might consider is doing a voice-over for the video that enhances the story. After I watched the video a second time I ended up googling Old Man of Stoer to learn more about the rock. IMHO Narration might make a really good video even better. Just my 2 cents...

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Jatekman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:31 pm

I agree with Sidd- for this vid length a speaker with facts and Informations would keep the tense high like in good documentationes.
A good example is Jim Baughs vid- it is "just" wreck diving but it is also exciting for nondivers. It is of course a lot of more work but it can be done home and savely.

Ciao Rob

https://youtu.be/boxi5e1oyLQ
Jatekman

Postby chdslDave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave, Understood about not wanting to crash your quad. I would be too paranoid to even fly over water to begin with. But I did enjoy the video as I thought overall it was really well done...... Make more.... lol

What I think you might consider is doing a voice-over for the video that enhances the story. After I watched the video a second time I ended up googling Old Man of Stoer to learn more about the rock. IMHO Narration might make a really good video even better. Just my 2 cents...

Sidd

Hey Sidd thanks once again for your tuppence worth and a narration is definitely food for thought and may well enhance a video of this genre... :)
Cheers
Dave
chdslDave

Postby chdslDave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Jatekman wrote:I agree with Sidd- for this vid length a speaker with facts and Informations would keep the tense high like in good documentationes.
A good example is Jim Baughs vid- it is "just" wreck diving but it is also exciting for nondivers. It is of course a lot of more work but it can be done home and savely.

Ciao Rob

https://youtu.be/boxi5e1oyLQ

Thanks again Rob for the feedback plus link and as mentioned to Sidd, I may well look into the idea of adding a narration for future videos! :)
Cheers
Dave
chdslDave

Return to GoPro Outdoors