Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Timelapse with GoPro HD Hero

This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Timelapse with GoPro HD Hero

Postby derFreak » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:28 am

Hey,

I have with my GoPro Hero HD time lapse made a few videos!

In addition I've made every 2 sec and a picture with Windows Live Movie Maker joined together!

Have you perhaps even improve it?

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJ4RWjT ... playnext=1 (It's a Playlist)
derFreak

Re: Timelapse with GoPro HD Hero

Postby Mdboatbum » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:42 am

They look good. My only advice would be to work a little more on your composition. In the car timelapse, you may want to try and get the driver in the scene. A video needs to tell a story, so think about what that is and who your audience is. If you notice in movies and TV, timelapse is usually used as a transition between scenes, usually in 3 or 4 second installments. Try mixing in regular video footage or even photos. It'll raise the impact of the timelapse footage and get the viewer more involved. In the panning and stationary videos, there really seems to be a lack of drama, or really any action. The sky being washed out may be the culprit here. Try switching to spot metering and making sure the shy is in the center of the frame. That will make the camera raise the shutter speed, resulting in more cloud detail. Good luck and keep at it!! I've been playing with it as well, and it's difficult to get the results I want.
Mdboatbum

Postby Mdboatbum » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:50 am

I did this one to use as an intro to a scene in a little video I'm working on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIFMBJxV ... re=related

I cropped all the photos to 1280x720 in photoshop and assembled in Quicktime pro. Rendered at 720p at 30fps.

In this next one I dropped the resolution to 480p and the framerate to 15fps. I like the motion blur of the traffic, and it will blend in more seamlessly with the DV footage from my other camera. The tradeoff is obviously lower resolution and the clouds movement is muted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4YAIH5OF38
Mdboatbum

Postby slacker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:04 am

Hi,
I will agree with Mdboatbum on the car time lapse. It get a lot more action in the shot when one can see the driver.
I just have made this video.(see below) It is from my summer vacation and the start sequence is a time lapse where the GoPro was mounted behind the driver.
Remember to set it to spot metering when shooting from inside the car or you wont se ass much of what happens on the road!!
As Mdboatbum writes it is a good idea to crop the pictures so that U avoid the irritating black bares on the side of your video.
Other than that keep on filming and remember that the formula for getting good time lapses on GoPro: experience+a little luck=nice output :)
[vimeo]14057558[/vimeo]
slacker

Postby hazza169 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 pm

when doing this sort of filming do you put the camera on video mode or like timelapse?
hazza169

Postby slacker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi,
If you are referring to the Hossegor video above, it is a mixture of time-lapse and vide.
All that looks like video is video and all that looks like time-lapse is time-lapse.

This may sound dumb but there is a point. The point is that you can speed up video so that it looks like time-lapse. But there is a big downside to doing this.
When you set the cam to video mode and try to film a car ride like this one you vil run out of memory space very fast. By using the time-lapse function you extend the period of time where you can "film" the journey.
You will also have massive video files thats needs to be processed which is a headache.

So when filming/time-lapsing something where you expect to cover a long time period then always use the time-lapse function.

Slacker
slacker

Postby hazza169 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:25 pm

thanks. also what time gap would you set it on between photos and was your camera mounted to the back windscreen?
hazza169

Postby slacker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Hey,
The cam was mounted on a tripod standing on the stuff i had laying on the backseats. (the seats where folded down)
I used the seat belts to hold it in place. :)

The interval depends on the speed you want in the film.
For this shot I used 5 sec intervals.

Normally I only use 2 or 5 sec intervals for car time lapses. The thing is that when using 5 sec you extend the time you can film but everything happens faster in the video.
If it is a short drive i always use 2 sec.
I know that you can adjust the speed when editing but my experience is the it is better to make the decision before filming/taking the pictures.
It is easier to avoid the choppy playback this way.

Remember to set the go pro to spot metering before start. Otherwise you will end up with at blown out windscreen (all white) due to the strong light from the outside.

SLacker
slacker

Postby hazza169 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:32 am

thanks will do
hazza169

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models