Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Tips for mounting on motorcycle?

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Tips for mounting on motorcycle?

Postby mhzx6 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Hey everyone, brand new owner of the HD Hero. Does anyone have any suggestions to use with my motorcycle? I have the motorsport kit, so I have the suction cup mount. I am against using the adhesive mounts on my helmet and bike itself. How does the handlebar mount work? Any other tips/suggestions would be awesome.
mhzx6

Re: Tips for mounting on motorcycle?

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Welcome!

Just curious ... why are you against the adhesive mounts?
Kamikuza

Postby ZXNinja » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:53 pm

I always use the suction cup on the motorcycle, you can put on the tank, on the front plexi or anywhere on the fairing where you find a flat surface. The suction cup is really strong and have never failed on me yet, but I always use a safety wire as backup also. The handle bar mount is not as stable as the suction cup. Here are some example videos where I use the suction cup on my Ninja:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=806
My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/smf1ken/videos
ZXNinja

Postby steve8 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:11 am

i m scared to not beeing able to remove the 3m tape from the surface. How do u remove it?
steve8

Postby wildone666 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:15 am

The 3M Stickers can removed easy without a sticky rest. You have to lift off one corner of the mount then it goes easily.
An other solution if tried - but its for the handle bar or the fork is the "Flymount" it´s originally made for surfing but it goes from 15 to 40mm and it fits perfect.

Great stuff!!!
wildone666

Postby pbansen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:16 am

I use a RAM mount. I'm on the 2nd generation currently - first attempt was to use one of the adhesive mounts to a flat aluminum plate and then attached a RAM ball to the plate. I have a RAM ball attached to the handlebars and connected the GoPro to the handlebar using a RAM arm. That worked OK, but since the plate was about 6" long, I got more flex and vibration than I would have liked. Currently, I'm using one of the GoPro adhesive mounts attached to a 1/4" phenolic piece the same size as the base of the adhesive mount with a 1/4-20 T-nut embedded in the phenolic. I can use this same piece to attach the GoPro to a camera tripod or to a RAM ball with a 1/4-20 stud on it. Less vibration, because the camera is more in line with the RAM arm and there is little flex.

I would be leery about attaching anything to a motorcycle using a suction cup only unless you have a tether on the camera - if the suction cup suddenly decided to detach, there would be little opportunity to catch the camera and trying to do so while moving could result in a Bad Thing happening.

I'll post a picture or two of my tripod mount and some with the whole assembly on the bike when I have a chance.

Anyone been successful at eliminating the vibration between the GoPro and the adhesive base? I get some noise from that tiny bit of movement at some RPMs.ImageImage

Pete Bansen
Truckee, California
pbansen

Postby tima » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 am

pbansen wrote:Anyone been successful at eliminating the vibration between the GoPro and the adhesive base? I get some noise from that tiny bit of movement at some RPMs.

There is a rubber dohicky that Go pro make now which stops the noise. Can't work out how to get it in there on the chest mount though.
tima

Postby snap42 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:29 am

HI,

I've been playing with the suction mount (as supplied) and mounting it on the front of the bike.

Hmmm ... still getting that 'jelly' effect (enemy of the rolling shutter) as the camera is too far away from the base of mount. Even by fixing the camera case to the first available knuckle, I'm still coming back with wobbly pictures - no matter how smooth the road surface is.

This 'dohicky' ... built for us in mind?

Stu
snap42
snap42

Postby Greg_E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:59 am

joeknapton wrote:Hi, we make the Flymount, kindly mentioned above.
I put a post on here yesterday, but I think it's been removed as spam - which it isn't! We're a small UK based company who make a unique product, which we've only just launched.
If anyone is looking for a way of mounting a GoPro on their motorbike, our product is worth considering. The Flymount is designed specifically for mounting cameras on tubular objects, and filming under high vibration and shock. You can see some handlebar mounted footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvPQgXlio0
We're also working on a GoPro adapter plate for the Flymount, so that customers will be able to use their GoPro on our mount without needing the tripod adapter.

Sure looks like a Bogen Superclamp to me, I see nothing to isolate the vibrations.
http://transportcontrols.com
Updated with version 1.
Greg_E

Postby Baloo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am

steve8 wrote:i m scared to not beeing able to remove the 3m tape from the surface. How do u remove it?

I have just installed and later removed a sticky mount from my Shoei helmet with no problems at all. All I did was point a hair dryer at the mount and it came of cleanly in about two minutes. No marks or damage to my helmet, or apparently the 3m tape either.

I have a preference for a helmet mount as handlebars etc are more prone to bumping than the top of my head. The only issue is editing afterwards to remove the numerous lifesavers on a long run.
Baloo

Next

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models