Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

UNDERWATER HOUSING - PRE-ORDER NOW!

This Old Forum unlocked but ARCHIVED.

Re: UNDERWATER HOUSING - PRE-ORDER NOW!

Postby Unique Images Australia » Fri May 18, 2012 1:34 am

Go for it, I appreciate you taking the time. Here are the stills https://bitly.com/abc_camera_gopro_stills

Some photos of the setup, taken under the yellow HID's at the workshop. I will take some close ups in the sunlight tomorrow ;__)

A stick with three holes drilled in it

Fresh from the water

Some detail

No fogging, that's just the overhead lights
Unique Images Australia
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby martcerv » Fri May 18, 2012 1:49 am

Sports Camera Hire wrote:Three HERO2 cameras with v70 firmware, mounted in three different housings with two anti fogs in each.

A Camera, BlurFix fitted to GoPro housing by WetRez https://bitly.com/a_camera_gopro

B Camera, GoPro Dive Housing https://bitly.com/b_camera_gopro

C Camera, Banned Word Housing https://bitly.com/c_camera_gopro

I have only supplied 960 48fps raw video, as it was the most impressive to me. No editing, no flashy title, just the raw video for you to decide which is the best solution for your needs. Apologies for the large file size, but I really like the idea of showing the untouched video.

Tomorrow I will try shooting in sunlight, and aim the housings at the sun to see what we get. This afternoons video was shot at the Wreck in Byron Bay, northern NSW. The sun had set before i reached the wreck.

No vignetting is a real plus for me, while the filters on the BlurFix really do offer some good benefits. Always nice to throw away a cheap filter when you scratch it (not that I ever have, but customers tend to), which is the best thing about the BlurFix to me. But the price in Australia is a bit over the top at $170rrp (fitted to housing). I guess the GoPro Dive is the new king, based on a reasonable price and no need to crop. Just my opinion, based on the needs of the average punter (which is 95% of GoPro's market).

Here is a quick side by side of Sports Camera Hire's test videos.

[vimeo]42341354[/vimeo]
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby Unique Images Australia » Fri May 18, 2012 1:59 am

Thanks Marty, that was quick!

Here is an explanation of the stills folder that can be downloaded here: https://bitly.com/abc_camera_gopro_stills

A reminder of which housing is A B and C.

First three shots are taken with dry housing, just sitting on beach with sunset behind camera. Interesting to see the different exposure or white balance with the housing A.

First dunk of the housing underwater before I licked the front elements. The GoPro Dive housing didn't drain too well, but this could be a result of it being new?

One quick lick, and the water ran away from the flat ports allowing clear view. This is something I do between most waves, just to be sure.

Pretty low light, but I was trying to capture the water droplets from the Wreck.

A photo of a GoPro HERO2 print I ran off this week, one of my best shots using the HERO2. Amazing to see a 32" x 24" print on poster paper, next one is canvas at 60" x 40".
Last edited by Unique Images Australia on Fri May 18, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unique Images Australia
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby martcerv » Fri May 18, 2012 2:13 am

Sports Camera Hire wrote:Thanks Marty, that was quick!

The slowest part was downloading your videos as I could only get one at a time :lol: Only took a few minutes to edit, encode and upload that.

I love that wave photo of yours, it looks like a GoPro commercial shot, Im not seeing much in the pics may need better light shots to see if the extra lens makes too much of a difference on the Blurfix compared to the single lens of the gopro housing. The single flat lens does have a higher FOV for sure and thats pretty easy to see.

Is it possible to take the glass lens off if needed for cleaning or is it the same as the banned one where you have to squeeze a cloth through the lens hole inside the housing if needed?
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
martcerv
Forum Mod

Postby Unique Images Australia » Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 am

More uploading, a slow process when you live in these remote parts of the world.. Ballina. I have been trying for a while to get something worthy of printing very large, and that shot on sunset at the Wreck is the best so far. I print for professional photographers, so I am always very critical of the GoPro's pixels. But sometimes content is greater than quality. I actually preferred the pixels of the HERO1 for printing, none of the black jpg artifacts that I see in the HERO2. Regardless of the lack of quality pixels, the HERO1/2 does an amazing job for the cost and size of sensor!

It looks like the 8 hex screws need to be removed, I use compressed air and cotton buds. I will follow up with some macro shots, now for some sleep. Thanks again for putting the video online, a little more useful for those who don't care to see the raw video.. or should I say wait the one hour for the huge downloads.
Unique Images Australia
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby hellhole » Fri May 18, 2012 3:39 am

good stuff
hellhole

Postby archiebald » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 am

flareside wrote:
archiebald wrote: Would you mind informing us that don't know what the "Banned Word" Housing represents?

It "represents" the failure of a retailer to support the forum. ;)

Who??? If you don't tell me then how can I avoid that vendor!!
archiebald

Postby archiebald » Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

stevepud wrote:SCH - yes, thanks for posting those.
I've played both the A and B side by side and to me, the Go Pro own housing looks better.
Is that what you guys have seen? I'm not using calibrated monitors or anything (and one was running in a WinXP VM so a little choppy)

The problem with the Blurfix is that the camera has to look through the domed port and the filter glass. In theory, resolution, contrast, saturation and exposure will all be slightly lower as a result and there may also be additional distortion. In addition, some FOV has ben lost. As you've commented this seems to be the real life case. Can't see the "C" version well enough to know if it has the dome installed or not.

The image quality is one of the reasons I went for the Backscatter housing. Only one layer of glass, filter can be changed while underwater or in the field, and has the ability to fit standard 55mm screw in filters (subject to a little vignetting).

I also found that is is really very easy to remove the Backscatter glass so I can thoroughly clean it and apply a defogger onto it. I wouldn't want to do it too often though.

But I will certainly be looking for the GoPro version as soon as it makes it into the shops.
archiebald

Postby flareside » Fri May 18, 2012 10:32 am

Archie:

Here is a photo of C: which-housing-to-use-any-experiences-t3850.html#p22603 (scroll down slightly)

And here is the Chief's official ruling on the subject: stickie-gopro-underwater-fix-mods-t629-60.html#p13491

Note in the photo of C, there is no lens bubble. As far as bannedword ever getting unbanned, that is up to the Chief. Truly at this point, they no longer have any relevance.

Also, its not banned over at scubaboard. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro- ... ost6346151
flareside

Postby archiebald » Fri May 18, 2012 10:52 am

flareside wrote:Archie:

Here is a photo of C: which-housing-to-use-any-experiences-t3850.html#p22603 (scroll down slightly)

And here is the Chief's official ruling on the subject: stickie-gopro-underwater-fix-mods-t629-60.html#p13491

Note in the photo of C, there is no lens bubble. As far as bannedword ever getting unbanned, that is up to the Chief. Truly at this point, they no longer have any relevance.

Also, its not banned over at scubaboard. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro- ... ost6346151

Thanks for clearing that up, being new around I didn't know the history. :D

I would never have bought that version anyway due to the sloppy appearance - just wouldn't trust it.
archiebald

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum Topics - HD1, HD2 & HD3