Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Universal battery charger & Li ion Safety WARNING

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Re: Universal battery charger & Li ion Safety WARNING

Postby PandaGFX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:03 am

got extra batteries but no offboard charger yet, so still charging using camera
- can report its been consistantly off'ing the red light @ 4.08V

powering it off various iPad PSUs of 2.1W, most are by 'good' accessory brands
PandaGFX

Postby PandaGFX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 pm

for the record my HD2's low battery cutout has been triggering consistantly @ 3.69V
PandaGFX

Postby Aguablanco1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:00 am

Greetings
I am new to the GoPro and I have a car charger question. I have a charger that has dual usb ports and is rated at 5v 2000mA. My question is, is that 2000mA per port or 2000mA total for 1000mA per port. If this unit works I get to charge 2 different items using 1 plug. Going on a 23 day Grand Canyon rafting trip, and am trying to consolidate gear.
Thanks,
RichH
Aguablanco1

Postby BriteStar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 am

If you value your camera charge it by itself.
BriteStar

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 am

Good one bright.......... thanks.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:29 am

I deal with DC system quite a lot.
Very familiar with lead acid and AGM batteries charging and discharging characteristic, be it for boats house bank or for remote area use where in remote area , the generator run only 12 hours a day and the other 12 hours on batteries>>inverter for vital communication gear.

I never measure Gopro the way I measure other remote installation and I am new to lit-ion battery. I hate small connectors... :mrgreen:
I know my dive light uses Panasonic protected 18650 battery. I have no idea that a GP battery internally has that circuit board :mrgreen: ...great info Brite, many thanks.

One thing for sure, batteries best not to be charged more than 50% of its rated capacity. Its a common rule. The internal chemistry doesn't like fast charging.

I don't know how Lit-Ion is rated for its MilliAmp Hours but for deep cycle lead acid or AGM batteries this is a very important factor. I have not bothered to read much of Lit-Ion as its is still too expensive compared to lead acid and AGM which can take more abuse, for my work.
A C20 car battery ( cranking battery ) if rated at 100 amps hour is because 20 hours discharge ( hence C20 ), if we use it at C8, its probably become a 75 Amps hour battery or so, assuming we ignore the C8 application should be better served with deep cycle or traction battery. I am wondering how is Lit-Ion capacity is being calculated, what C rating actually ? For cameras and high power diving torch, the Lit-Ion is being sucked at C1 to C2 ...incredible.

I also do not know if Lit-Ion is best served with smart 3 stage charger like used for lead acid/AGM. The final 15% to 10% acceptance charge is so true and not many people knows this. Again I do not know if Lit-ion will suffer same fate as lead acid plate sulfation if the 100% true complete charging can't be practiced. In remote installation using lead acid and AGM, this last 10-15% is the pain in the a$$ in terms of time wasted compared to bulk charging and generator running time.

I never had the chance much to read on intelligent charging of Lit-Ion battery, compared to available smart ones for lead acid/AGM.

Brite, any tips for me ? I will Google it for sure but you probably can teach me more and faster.... :D

Many Thanks
SP
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby BriteStar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Li ion batteries don't require the complicated charging procedures needed for other battery chemistries. Each cell (battery) is charged independantly. All you need to do is limit the charge current & make sure that the charging voltage is disconnected when the cell reaches 4.2 volts. You can charge them to a higher voltage level to increase their capacity but you do this at the expense of battery life.

Li ion battery packs contain multiple cells. Individual cells are electrically connected in series with fet switches to give a higher output voltage. Two cells = 7.4v three cells = 11.1v four cells = 14.8v so on & so forth. In some packs individual cells can be isolated once they have reached full charge, while others continue to receive charge.

Li ion batteries like all lithium based batteries can explode quite spectacularly & it is near impossible to extinguish.

GoPro's peak voltage cut off would appear to be set a little low but this is possibly just an added safety factor.
BriteStar

Postby suryaprihadi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Yes, I am scared of Li-Ion, water to it is like adding more power to the flame. Reminds me of magnesium fire.
Lit-Ion can be isolated even while in series connection ? Wow, then there must be some sort of by-pass ?

What's the temperature vs voltage state of charge curve , is it as troublesome like lead acid ?
Maybe GoPro is taking on the safe side of this curve....no ?

Thanks Brite
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby BriteStar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:08 pm

suryaprihadi wrote:What's the temperature vs voltage state of charge curve

There is no correlation between the two.
BriteStar

Postby suryaprihadi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 am

Wow interesting, it must be very different chemistry................nice nice.
The smart lead acid chargers I use. need to hook up with the battery temperature sensor for me at 30C plus ambient to get real and proper acceptance changing. Thanks.
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models