Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Universal battery charger & Li ion Safety WARNING

Gopro User forum. This Old Forum is unlocked but ARCHIVED

Re: Universal battery charger & Li ion Safety WARNING

Postby BriteStar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:01 pm

SLA (sealed lead acid batteries) are temperature dependant. The available battery capacity (amp hours) decreases with temperature. For example @ .1C discharge rate: -20C = 55% available rated capacity... 0C= 85% .....40C =100% .. 60C= 110%.

CHARGING SLA's

Generally no temperature compensation is required within the temperature range 5 to 40 degrees C.
Outside this range compensation of -4mV/degree C per cell is required.

The temperature sensor on your SLA charger is most probably to ensure that in the event the battery becomes overheated during charging, charging is stopped to prevent the battery cells from becoming over pressurised & avoid venting.
BriteStar

Postby PandaGFX » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 pm

popped by to add... :)

received & been playing with the generic/"wasabi" type offboard charger

It charges to 4.07V then LED goes green, nothing more after.
Takes about 90-100mins.

Camera doesn't run any (notably) longer than onboard charged.

Real PITA extracting them batteries... DIY'd a pull tab,
still not easy to remove casing back in the field.
Tried running without but battery can bump out.
Even less easy with the LCD hanging on.
PandaGFX

cable choice

Postby PandaGFX » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:46 pm

popped past to add an interesting observation...

Make sure your USB cable is chunky enough to charge :)

Last night was too tired to yank battery out to charge offboard so i just plugged in the HD2 to juice it up;
12 hrs later the red light was still on. Pulled battery and checked voltage, looked like it hadn't charged at all.

Tried again with another battery, same thing - started to think camera's charging circuit had blown.
Noticed that the camera also powered off when battery was removed.

Turned out USB cable was a real skinny one; swapped for a chunkier cable & all good again.
Camera charged as normal; stays on when battery is removed whilst plugged in.

Crisis averted! :D
PandaGFX

Postby xxgg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello,

Is anyone using LiFePO4 2-cell (6.6v) batteries as a external battery pack? (using a BEC to set output voltage to 5v with a adapter from battery to USB plug). Also with a proper hobby grade chargers, these LiFePO4 packs can be charged up in 15 minutes or so without any problems.

Or you could buy some A123 brand of 26650 batteries (2300mAh) to build whatever size pack you want.

You may not like the bulkier size but it's an alternative. Popular among the electric bicycle community.
xxgg

Postby PandaGFX » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 am

Have been using commercial batterysupplies... no issues noted when they're juicy enough to power an iPhone.

Recently just bought some little dongles that hook off a 2s LiPO to USB output, haven't tested yet.

LiFe is more robust than LiPO but not confident that 6.6V is enough;
usually like to have >1.5-2.0V above output volts.
PandaGFX

Postby Chew_Chelios » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 am

Hi,
does this apply to new GoPro Hero 4 battery ? Does it also have that internal voltage/amps controller ?
If I plug camera directly to wall charger 5V/2A will I damage the camera somehow, I mean internal components such as sensor and so on.
GoPro Hero 4 Black

Thanks
Chew_Chelios

Previous

Return to Old Forum Topics - Tips, Tricks and DIY Customizations - ALL Models