Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

UPLOADED GOPRO VIDEOS CHOPPY

Mac related

UPLOADED GOPRO VIDEOS CHOPPY

Postby Raz2097 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and have been filming numerous things. However when I go to upload my videos to my Mac, the playback is choppy using iPhoto, VLC and QuickTime. This issue only seems to be happening with any videos with a higher quality than 720 at 60fps. The only program that it isn't choppy in is iMovie after I have loaded the clip in... At first I thought this could be my Mac being too slow and possibly having not enough space to be able to process such large files but yesterday I used my Canon 550D to record a 1080p video. I uploaded the file to iPhoto and the playback was smooth with no issues at all.

Is someone able to assist with this as it is really frustrating.

Also, does anyone get really grainy videos with the GoPro on a cloudy day and should this be happening?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Ryan
Raz2097

Re: UPLOADED GOPRO VIDEOS CHOPPY

Postby Mercbg2k » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Short answer is its prob your computer not powerful enough.

Long answer...
read-this-sticky-if-your-are-having-issues-t10623.html
Mercbg2k

Postby Raz2097 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Okay thanks. Well I'm currently looking at getting a new Mac, for my video editing alone. If I was to purchase the MacBook Pro, along with Final Cut Pro do you think that will have enough power to process my GoPro Videos. It will be used solely for my GoPro as my current Mac has so much music on it that it is obviously unable to handle the HD videos from the GoPro...

Any help would be good.

Cheers

Ryan
Raz2097

Postby Fosca » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Hey Ryan

I'm still investigating this myself, but I think when it comes to Macs, it's not as simple as it just being that 'your computer needs more grunt'. I'm discovering that Macs (at least, some Macs) seem to have a bit of a problem with the mp4 format, as does Quicktime on a PC - I suspect this is because it's software encoded for Mac.

I have been shooting test videos on the Hero 3 Black, 2.7k, 30fps, with Protune on. Here is what I have discovered with the playback on various machines of the exact same video:

* My editing Mac at work just. cannot. play back the mp4 straight out of the camera. Not a hope. It's just awful. Skips so many frames trying to play back, it's like it freezes and unfreezes with no rhyme or reason. Before anyone suggests hardware issues, my Mac is a dedicated editing machine, Pro Tower with 2 x 2.4 Quadcore processors and 24MB of ram. I edit feature length HD movies, do some serious graphics... it can do big stuff. My machine works and works and works and has tons of grunt. Trust me, it's not a hardware issue with this Mac.
(--My workaround, which is fine for me, is to transcode the mp4 using Compressor to a ProRes 422(HQ) QT movie. This just conforms the GoPro footage so that it's completely the same format as my footage from other cameras, which I need to do anyway. After that, playback is perfectly fine, even though it's still a big, high res file.)

* Playing the same video on my Windows laptop (Intel core i7 2Ghz, 8GB ram) in Quicktime Player, still quite jerky, but fares much, much better than on my Macasaurus. When it drops frames on playback, it is rhythmic and regular.

* Playing the same video on my same Windows laptop in Windows Media Player - perfect playback. No probs at all.

So I can only come to the conclusion that it's something in the Mac architecture that doesn't like the mp4 format/H.264 codec. What that is, I don't know yet.

It's interesting that you have no problems with your Canon footage. If I try to log and capture footage from my Canon 5D (which I think is also mp4, from memory) through Final Cut Pro, FCP tells me the file is corrupted. If I drag it into Compressor first and transcode to just about anything else, FCP is perfectly happy with it and it's obviously not corrupted at all.
Fosca

Postby mikerb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 am

mp4 is just a shell..........the file is encoded in h264/aac and apart from computer grunt you also need the h264 codec to play. That codec was only included in Windows when windown Media Live 11 was brought out...prior to that windows media would not play it at all...just sound. Even now I am not sure it will play h264 encoded files at fps higher than 30fps...don't know because I never use it...I use VLC Media Player. You can get the latest h264 codec for a bout $9 online..simple download. Or download something like VLC that brings with it a plethora of codecs covering virtually every format.
mikerb

Postby Fosca » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm

mikerb wrote:mp4 is just a shell....

Yeah, I know. And I'm sure what you're saying about Windows machines and the codec is correct - like I say, my much punier Windows machine can play hi res mp4s straight out of the GoPro with no issues, as long as it's not with Quicktime Player. The issue I'm discussing is for Mac users - if your editing workflow is all Mac based, being able to playback properly using VLC isn't going to be of much help. FWIW, I can playback my test video on Macasaurus in VLC with no problems. But I still have to edit in FCP and be able to playback in Quicktime, which is where it starts to go horribly wrong.

I have the h.264 codec on my Mac. The problem seems to be that it is an Apple version, encoded to work with Mac software (like the entire FCP Studio suite).

Further digging around reveals that there is a long history of FCP not playing nice with the h.264 codec, with QT's own h264 codec being notoriously flaky. Seems as simple as that, with the professional advice being to transcode into another format to work with the footage, which I'm doing anyway. And which is adviseable anyway - h.264 is generally regarded as a delivery format, not an editing format.

So there you go. Looks like it's just a Mac thing.

So, in summary, if you're a Mac user and your playback is choppy, there's a good chance that it might not be because your system isn't powerful enough. Before you go shelling out for new hardware, check that you can playback on a player that hasn't been developed by Apple. If your playback is smooth, the issue is codec, not system grunt. If it's still not smooth, then it probably is system grunt. Same goes if you're a Windows user and you've been trying to playback in Quicktime. The advice on here to use VLC is good, but it's not necessarily because the program takes up less system resources. The h.264 codec VLC uses is much more compatible with the movies straight out of the GoPro.

Ryan - to answer your question about the new Mac, if you're going to be working with HD video, check the FCP specs and make sure whatever machine you buy can run it. If it can run FCP comfortably, it will be able to work with your GoPro videos. Are you buying FCP X? If so, I strongly suggest you also spend the extra $50 to buy Compressor. It plays nice with FCP and being able to easily transcode out of h.264 for your editing workflow and playback will save you a lot of frustration. (Though GoPro's Cineform app apparently does that too, and it's free. I haven't played with it yet.)
Fosca

Postby Raz2097 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 am

Ahh you guys are absolute legends!! That helps heaps!! I'm probably going to end up buying a new MacBook Pro anyway as I currently have an iMac and I want the option of being able to do things on the go, especially when I travel...

I'll give all of that a go and let you know.

Really appreciate the help guys.

Cheers

Ryan
Raz2097

Return to Mac