Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

Vignetting with filter attached

Discuss the GoPro Hero3 White & Silver + BacPacs, General, Issues and Trouble Shooting

Vignetting with filter attached

Postby lakeman » Tue May 12, 2015 12:11 am

I am using a 58mm Polarizing filter on the plastic case for the Hero 3. Is there no way at all that I can avoid the irritating vignetting as a result of this.
The angle of the lens is obviously so ultra wide, a great asset, but not in this case. I take it there is no way I can change the zoom of the lens, or is there some post production soft-ware capable of doing it.
lakeman

Re: Vignetting with filter attached

Postby PTCX » Tue May 12, 2015 2:14 am

How are you attaching the filter to the camera?

How thick is the polarising filter?
Some polarising filters are quite thick so will be difficult to avoid vignette with them.Use the thinnest filter you can find.
If your very careful you can sand down the outer ring so there is only 1mm or so sticking out beyond the glass.Best done with wet & dry sandpaper with lots of water,if not under water.

There are mounting solutions that have very little to no vignetting with 55mm filters that clip onto the lens surround such as those from Snake River Prototyping that work well.They have a more permanently fixed model that uses 58mm filters as well.
http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/he ... ve-housing

Have you tried the medium or narrow settings in the camera,they will have no vignette.

You can use the zoom function in GoPro studio to take out vignetting in post.With that you can retain more of the wide image than by using the medium or narrow settings in the camera menu.

Mmost good editing programs have something that will allow you to crop the image to remove vignetting such as the pan and crop tools in Sony Movie Studio/Vegas.
PTCX

Postby lakeman » Tue May 12, 2015 3:03 am

Many thanks for most informative reply. I forgot to mention that this refers to video of course.
The 58mm circ Polarizer is attached via a clip-on with a thread, this clamps to the plastic Gopro case.
The filter is 9mm thick over-all. I gather you are saying that the vignet is caused mainly with the outer filter ring. There is not much sticking out to remove but will certainly have a go there.
Will try the in camera settings.
Am having trouble with Studio crashing and got sick of it to tell you the truth.
Have just discovered an old copy of Movie Studio on a machine, lot's of food for thought.
Might try to take some metal from that filter first.
I'm needing this polarizer for snow ski-ing, what are your thoughts on fitting a sheet inside the plastic case, I realise it won't be adjustable but wondered if the results would be acceptable.
lakeman

Postby PTCX » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 am

Yes it is the front ring and how far it protrudes that is the main cause of the vignetting,depending on the mount and how close it holds the filter to the lens.
Snake River Prototyping sell some filters that have been turned down to be very thin which are excellent.Made for use with their filter mounts and GoPros.

I have not used any of the gel sheet type filters and have not read anything to suggest they are worth it to be honest.Proper polarisers can be problematic when your moving around as it is so not even having the ability to adjust them when your moving only makes it worse.

GoPro Studio can be a bit quirky with some computetrs but it's pretty good for free if you can get it running.
Make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed and the latest version of Windows .NET Framework is important too.If you use a PC.
Otherwise try uninstalling it,do a fresh download and reinstal and see how you go.

As for Movie Studio any version from 9 onwards will have the pan & crop tools in even the basic version.It's pretty easy to lern how to use them.
PTCX

Postby relaxman » Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm

yes, try medium FOV. much less distorsion.
if you still has vignetting (i think only at the corners) try removing fisheye with studio.
relaxman

Postby Hobby Mounts » Thu May 14, 2015 1:23 am

You can reduce the FOV but that might not be the solution you want.

Have you thought about using SRP filters? These are designed to eliminate vignetting by using ultra low profile filters.

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/BlurFix-Filters-Adapters
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.
http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby lakeman » Fri May 15, 2015 6:26 am

OK. have ground down about 1mm from filter holder, the vignetting has almost gone. However I've decided now to go for an ND (as a previous poster suggested ) Will use the polariser still sometimes I'm sure but I realise it will take a lot of time adjusting, something I won't have trying to stay upright whilst descending a mountain (with thick gloves on !)
Many thanks to all posters, I've learnt a lot, most helpful.
lakeman

Return to GoPro Hero3 White & Silver Editions