Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email [email protected]

wanted: shallow depth of field, aka bokeh

Anti-fog, Anti-Spot Caps, Filters, Polarizers, Macros, Lenses etc. NO Camera issues Please.

wanted: shallow depth of field, aka bokeh

Postby atom » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 pm

the gopro cameras can do pretty much anything... except shallow depth of field.

my "other" camera is a point-and-shoot which, despite manual aperture control, also struggles to get shallow depth of field.

what are your suggestions for getting some shallow depth of field shots, without spending too much money?

for what i've got planned, i need to have the foreground subject no more than 1-2m from the camera, and the background not much farther away, maybe another 1-2m.
Last edited by atom on Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
atom

Re: wanted: shallow depth or field, aka bokeh

Postby flareside » Tue May 05, 2015 6:12 am

atom wrote:the gopro cameras can do pretty much anything... except shallow depth of field.

Yeah, fixed focus lenses designed to maintain focus from 2' to infinity are kind of funny about not being able to do shallow depth of field.

The only way you're gonna get there is with a C-mount camera mod and a lens with variable focus and aperture. That will cost you nearly as much as a low end DSLR and screw up your GoPro in the process.
flareside

Postby stevepud » Tue May 05, 2015 6:45 am

Photoshop. :)
stevepud

Postby atom » Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 am

stevepud wrote:Photoshop. :)

not for video.
atom

Postby atom » Tue May 05, 2015 6:58 am

flareside wrote:The only way you're gonna get there is with a C-mount camera mod and a lens with variable focus and aperture. That will cost you nearly as much as a low end DSLR and screw up your GoPro in the process.

it looks like my best option for good bokeh is an SLR with a "full size" sensor... but IIUC, they only record video for 20 minutes at a time. the "video camera" equivalents start at about $2k, USD.

hoping for some type of hack...
atom

Re: wanted: shallow depth of field, aka bokeh

Postby atom » Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 am

GH2 looks good... but not available in NZ for a reasonable price. i'll keep my eyes open...
atom

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 06, 2015 5:21 am

You might try experimenting by adding a zoom lens to the gopro. I have used various combinations to get some really cool shallow DOF. I tried with a 2x zoom and it worked out pretty well.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby relaxman » Wed May 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Sure, you can have blurred backgorund with the gopro.
Just film from 20-30 cm, and use a macro lens :)

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/150506/253339148 ... es.hu_.jpg
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/150506/03_www.ke ... es.hu_.jpg
relaxman

Return to GoPro Clear Vision