Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Washed out video youtube/vimeo????- Levels Fix

PC related editing but NOT GoPro Studio

Washed out video youtube/vimeo????- Levels Fix

Postby Rambo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Ever noticed that your online videos have more contrast than the ones you uploaded? Are the highlights "blown out" to pure white? Is detail in the shadows getting lost and becoming flat black? This is because for many video formats you need to adjust the levels of your video before you upload it.

Look what happened to this image after rendered it to an AVC mp4 file and uploaded it to YouTube:
From the Sony Vegas Pro video discussion forum

Upload formats tested that require the levels fix include:

AVC (H.264) (.mp4)
AVCHD (.mp4)
HDV (.m2t)
DV (.avi)
Quicktime M-JPEG (.mov)
Sony MXF (.mxf)
Sony YUV (.avi)

Upload formats tested that do not require the levels fix include:

Windows Media Video 9 (WMV)
Windows Media Video 11 (.wmv)
Xvid (.avi)
x264vfw (.avi)

Testing was done using Sony Vegas Pro in 8-bit mode pixel format mode. Your video editing software may render files differently. If you have tested more formats, please let me know the result so I can add them to the list.

This "YouTube levels fix" applies to videos that are uploaded to any site or service that displays videos using your browser's Flash Player plugin. I have tested these:

Video hosting sites:
YouTube
Vimeo
Facebook

1. Introduction - Color Spaces
Luminance levels of video are graded on a scale of 0 (black) to 255 (white). Computer hardware and software conventionally expects and displays this full range of luminance which is known as the "Computer RGB" color space. However, for historical reasons, TVs expect and display a more limited range where black is level 16 and white is level 235. This can be called the "Studio" color space. Values in the luminance range 0-16 can be called "superblacks". Values in the range 235-255 can be called "superwhites". If you have footage with a lot of contrast it may appear like this:

Much computer software will display video at the same levels that it was rendered at. However, in your browser the AVC file from YouTube, Vimeo etc. is played by the Adobe Flash Player plugin, and this does not follow conventional rules. It expands the luminance range of video it receives by mapping level 16 (near-black) to level 0 (black), and level 235 (near-white) to level 255. So the video you see has more contrast than the same video seen in many computer programs. Superwhites and superblacks will simply be clipped off. This means that detail in the near-black and near-white areas of the video will be lost. Many DVD players and TVs do the same thing.

So if the video you upload does not conform to 16-235 then it will lose detail in the shadows and highlights during playback.

2. Conforming Video to 16-235 Levels - Simple Method
To prepare for upload to YouTube or Vimeo we need conform our video to "broadcast legal", Studio RGB levels, so that when we watch it on YouTube or Vimeo the luminance appears the same as that we uploaded, and without clipping. One way to do this is to add a [0,255] to [16,235] conversion filter to the output of your non-linear video editing program (NLE) such as Sony Vegas Pro.

In Sony Vegas Pro you can do this by adding Sony Levels filter to the video output, and choose the "Computer RGB to Studio RGB" preset. You could also find a similar preset in the Sony Color Corrector filter, but only choose one or the other, not both or you will compress the levels twice. After applying the filter you should see reduced contrast in your video.

Now you can render the video to a format such as AVC (H.264) .mp4 for upload to YouTube/Vimeo etc..

That is a rather blunt way of conforming the levels, but gives a WYSIWYG path from camera to web.

3. Conforming Video to 16-235 Levels - Longer Method
A more sophisticated way to conform levels is at media or event or track level. This is essentially the same as preparing the project for broadcast and is a skilled task that is beyond the scope of this article.

If you're taking this approach then a good idea is to create a level 16 "underlay" as your lowest track, which ensures that translucent parts of your video (e.g. fades or the background of titles) stay legal and don't drop below 16. The default background in Sony Vegas Pro is level 0, which is an illegal black.

Also make sure that all titles and graphics are no brighter than level 235. e.g. In Sony Vegas Pro the "Text Color" levels of "white" generated media text should look like this:

Still images exist in the Computer RGB color space, as do videos taken by stills cameras, so you may want to put them on their own track with a Levels track FX on it, with the Computer RGB to Studio RGB preset.

You would then need to adjust the levels/colours of the video events in the project by using the appropriate FX plugins such as Levels, Color Corrector and Color Curves, and using Vegas Pro's Video Scopes to monitor the output. FX can be applied as track FX, media FX or event FX as necessary.
Rambo
Site Admin

Re: Washed out video youtube/vimeo????- Levels Fix

Postby ThMu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:11 am

That's interesting! I noticed that effect but I assumed the video compression to be the culprit. You never stop learning.
ThMu

Postby BimmerJo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Anyway you can fix the imbedded videos? I'm having a lot of issues with this.
BimmerJo

Postby GL1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 am

BimmerJo wrote:Anyway you can fix the imbedded videos? I'm having a lot of issues with this.

Better yet how about giving us the link to the original article on the "Sony Vegas Pro video discussion forum" (unless it is a restricted site that we can't join)
GL1

Postby PTCX » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:18 am

GL1 wrote:
BimmerJo wrote:Anyway you can fix the imbedded videos? I'm having a lot of issues with this.

Better yet how about giving us the link to the original article on the "Sony Vegas Pro video discussion forum" (unless it is a restricted site that we can't join)

Try these;http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=766699&Replies=65
This is not the exact same post but addresses the same issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWMX5lSvEgY&feature=player_embedded
PTCX

Postby Rambo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 am

The whole point of the thread was to provide the information to save everyone searching for and reading a huge thread on the Sony Vegas Pro Forum that most people can't join. The original photo links have been removed, i'll try find them again or similar.

This is a very complex issue but if you want to persist more info here http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/v8color/vegas-9-levels.htm

One of the best ways is to experiment with your workflow using small clips till you get a workflow that YOU are happy with, then save it for use as a template or guide.
Rambo
Site Admin

Postby GL1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:59 am

Rambo wrote:...
This is a very complex issue but if you want to persist more info here http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/v8color/vegas-9-levels.htm

Thanks.. I am on a quest for knowledge and that looks very helpful!
GL1

Postby dusk187 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:40 am

I recently stumbled upon this problem and it took me a whole day to solve it. this article sums it up pretty good. thanks for listing the different file formats, that's very useful.

I would like to add that it's very useful to simulate the computer rgb output in the video preview window (while actually working in studio rgb) by applying a "studio to rgb" to the output fx. but dont forget to disable it before you start to render. if you use a full screen video preview, i.e. on a secondary display, you can enable "studio to rgb" in the preferences, but this applies for full screen only.
dusk187

Postby MTBCY » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi to you all, sorry to hijack this post but i use vegas pro12 and dont know anything about color correction, i have watched many tutorials about the subject. Can someone please give me their honest opion on this video and what correction i may have used. Is it to dark/light etc.
[vimeo]59135077[/vimeo]
MTBCY

Return to PC