Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Which mount for Car ?

Creative use on Planes, Cars, Motorbike's, etc. No camera issues please.

Re: Which mount for Car ?

Postby PTCX » Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 am

If you're mounting a GoPro on your cars body I would recommend the suction cup,it has proven itself to have a strong hold and won't damage the paint.
If you use a stick on mount on a painted surface it will hold but it will have to stay where you put it for ever because the amount of heat required to remove the 3M tape is likely to damage the paint.
For piece of mind always use a tether of some kind.
PTCX

Postby Bling » Mon May 13, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks Boro and PTCX. I will pick up one of the suction cups then.
Bling

Postby pfoglar » Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm

It's amazing how sturdy the GoPro suction cup mount is, but I am also not very keen on seen my GoPro overtaking me while at speed, so am also very cautious! What I did was make sure the suction cup and body panel were both clean and free of any dust before mounting (also try and use as flat panel as possible). Then my paranoia said I need to add a tether just for peace of mind so I used some decent thin rope tied to the mount and the other end due to the placement secured by the car's fuel filler cap mechanism. Then to prevent the rope from waving around and scratching the paintwork, used some sticky tape to secure it along the body panel. In the end, was over-kill since the suction cup really did its job and even the footage is absolutely steady!!
pfoglar

Postby Bling » Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Is anyone worried that if the mount should fail and the GoPro comes off, it will swing round on the tether and hit the car, resultingin the GoPro housing breaking and a dent in the car's bodywork ?
Bling

Postby pfoglar » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 am

I guess it's a calculated risk, but yes, am always concerned that if it comes loose, A it will take a nasty fall and rely heavily on the case to protect it, and B that in doing so it might damage the car, especially if tethered. It also depends where you are mounting it - if on the bonnet, roof or so then tethering is already a bit tricky, but the suction cup is not having to fight as much against gravity as in the case of being mounted on a vertical part of the car where being tethered is important IMO, and of course mounted on the bumper there is generally less chance of body work damage with tethering being important too.

One can of course always consider those aftermarket dual suction cup mounts for extra peace of mind, and to a degree a slightly more sturdy mounting...
pfoglar

Postby Zanerz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Hey budies,

First of all, sorry about that bad english I'm speaking..
I've planed 2 road-trips this summer, and want to record cool road movies. I have a suction pad and some sticky fixations. I've ridden everything I could on the forum about risks to fix the go pro out of the car (will use a tether etc..). One of the shots I'll record will be the exactly same "outside of the car shot" (from the same place, etc..) during the 15days, during the higway/landscapes crossing, to do perfect time-lapse etc... what isn't possible with the sunction cup, because I'll use it during the days so it won't never be at the exact same place. Hope you understand me :? ?

I've thought to use the big sticky pad of 'surf pack" I have (http://www.junkmail.co.za/images/large_ ... 566701.JPG) because it's bigger, or a simple helmet curved mount... because it's curved, and to fix it juste next to the number plate (+ a tether fixed to the radiator grid).

1) Do you think that sticky mount on the car body will be enough strong for highways ? (if fixed few days before on a clean surface?)
2) Don't you think that I'll be able to remove de 3M with a hairdryer without damages?

Thank's for your time, and sorry about that approximate english

greetings from belgium
Zanerz

Postby IAmGary » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 am

I bought a "65 lb" magnet from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Magnet ... /202639939) to make a secondary anchor. It was $9.00 and has a swivel built in as well tape over the magnet to protect surfaces. It is very difficult to remove from the car by pulling straight up but only takes 25-30 lb. of force to pull sideways (so it can be removed by sliding and pulling up at the same time if you're not strong enough to pull it straight off - but make sure the surface is clean before doing that). Removing the tape increases the magnet's strength, using a strip of duct tape could provide leverage for easier removal.

I use this as a secondary tether with the magnet directly above the camera so that the rig will not fall far or bounce around if if comes loose. Damage to a vehicle is unlikely if the suction failure is spotted right away. The go pro is plastic and would require significant impact or repeated impacts in the same spot to damage a car's finish. Any damage from prolonged bouncing should be limited to the clear coat and buff out. Unless the camera slams into the car with a lot of force it should not dent it, cars are made stronger than that.

The only time I've had the suction cup fail was when it was put on a cold vehicle and then driven in an extremely hot environment. The suction cup did not fail entirely but when I went to remove the camera it was clear that it had barely any suction. Hope that helps.
IAmGary

Postby Zanerz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for that man !

The fact is that I don't want to use de sunction, because the idea is to have the exact same shot day after day. I mean, from the same position. And seing that I'll use the suction on the kayak and other stuffs, I'll have to remove it few times in a day, so I'll never be capable to remount it at the same place with same angle etc.. It's why it'll be easier to have a "sticky pad" all the road-trip long fixed, wich will allow me to use the suction for everything I want and more than that, to have during 15days the exact same shot from the front of the car while we'll be crossing lanscapes etc..

Hope it's understandable :)
Zanerz

Previous

Return to GoPro MotorSports