Welcome
Welcome to goprouser

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you full access to view most discussions and access.. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements if any. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today! Any issues email goprousergroup@gmail.com

Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Discuss the Hero HD4 Blk Camera Here

Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby steve87 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Question: I really want to buy a GoPro and have a budget of $400. I want to know how much the next GoPro will likely be so I know whether to wait for the HD4 (if it's $399) or buy a HD3 now.

Thanks.

Steven.
steve87
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby steelo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Is there a hidden GP3 around the place filming readers of this post?

Seriously. My GPH3 black cost around AU$480 in Jan this year. Plus $30 X 2 for 2 16gb cards, $50 for suction mount, and another $200 for spare battery, LCD backpack and various mounts.
The white and silver versions were / are cheaper but they apparently don't have the upgraded internals.
I would think it unlikely that the latest and greatest (if and when it comes out) is going to be 20% cheaper (to allow you to get some spares and accessories just to use it)
Look around for a silver or black if you can come up with a few more readies. I don't think you'll be sorry finding the extra cash for the black.
It must also be stated that if you are on a budget, you may also need to factor in extra spending in the PC / storage department for processing the footage you take.
I was lucky the missus had an I7 laptop with a .75 TB hdd and 8gb ram for me to play with some video editing. I couldn't even play the footage on my own laptop.
Good luck though.
steelo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby mikerb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 am

When Gopro brought out the Hero 3 it was a complete product range rather than a single camera release. My guess is that Gopro have been surprised by the popularity of the Black edition and probably a little dismayed by sales of the white edition. I would expect them to phase out the White and possibly introduce a new top of the range aimed purely at the pro market...and priced accordingly. I would be surprised if they did anything to disturb the success of the black edition....maybe just provide a few enhancements via firmware upgrades.
mikerb
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:14 am
Location: Weymouth

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby steve87 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

steelo wrote:Is there a hidden GP3 around the place filming readers of this post?

Seriously. My GPH3 black cost around AU$480 in Jan this year. Plus $30 X 2 for 2 16gb cards, $50 for suction mount, and another $200 for spare battery, LCD backpack and various mounts.
The white and silver versions were / are cheaper but they apparently don't have the upgraded internals.
I would think it unlikely that the latest and greatest (if and when it comes out) is going to be 20% cheaper (to allow you to get some spares and accessories just to use it)
Look around for a silver or black if you can come up with a few more readies. I don't think you'll be sorry finding the extra cash for the black.
It must also be stated that if you are on a budget, you may also need to factor in extra spending in the PC / storage department for processing the footage you take.
I was lucky the missus had an I7 laptop with a .75 TB hdd and 8gb ram for me to play with some video editing. I couldn't even play the footage on my own laptop.
Good luck though.


I agree, though it would probably be hard for them to make it 20% cheaper. But I guess if they make it $399 then the HD3 would come down to $299? And everything else shift down too. Was that what your saying? Or do you mean that will make the HD4 $320? Because from what I've read they can't do that.
steve87
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby steelo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Yes, you're right steve87
I've seen GP3 blacks in local stores as low as about $460. 16GB class 10 cards at $20.
For you to get under way with a GP4 for $399, the price of a GP4 would have to be at least 20% cheaper than the current best price for a black to allow you to buy it and a reasonably sized card.
I reckon GP would be crazy to start to fire sale their great and very popular product after only 4 months but you never know. The high aussie dollar can't be hurting the price in Australia.
You could get into a GP2 or GP3 (white/silver) for a very reasonable price until you get used to the camera.
I must confess, I find 1080 at 50fps overkill for simply attaching to the motorbike and filming a trip even though the footage looks good. To get something I can show anyone requires (it seems) big processing power. I have found reasonable success with 720 at higher frame rate which I think the GP2 will handle quite well. Someone may well have a contrary view.
Good luck
steelo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby mikerb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am

For me the star setting on H3BE is 1080@60...it is just absolutely stunning regardless whether it is fast action or not. I also like 1440 which just does a better job than than the previous only 4:3 format..960. I can see me using those 2 setting more than any of the others and if the camera ONLY had one setting I would want it to be 1080@50fps...it covers all the bases. For me those 2 settings together with the fact that remote is part of the package that makes the Black far better value than the Silver. Would I wait for a Hero 4?....nope...it would not add anything to the H3Be for me.
mikerb
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:14 am
Location: Weymouth

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby steelo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 am

Forum members. I eat my words.
I was doing a check of the website where I bought some motorcycle parts and they have the GP3 Black out for US$399 with free delivery in the US.
Beg borrow or steal a MicroSD card and you are in business.
I don't know if we can mention the site but here is a screen dump
steelo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby flareside » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

steelo wrote: ...and they have the GP3 Black out for US$399 with free delivery in the US.

Umm.. That's full MSRP in the US. GoPro sells it for the same price on their website.
flareside
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 am

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby steelo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Oops. Thanks for that
We are paying more in OZ even with a strong dollar. Cheers
steelo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Will the GoPro Hero 4 be $399?

Postby martcerv » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 pm

mikerb wrote:When Gopro brought out the Hero 3 it was a complete product range rather than a single camera release. My guess is that Gopro have been surprised by the popularity of the Black edition and probably a little dismayed by sales of the white edition. I would expect them to phase out the White and possibly introduce a new top of the range aimed purely at the pro market...and priced accordingly. I would be surprised if they did anything to disturb the success of the black edition....maybe just provide a few enhancements via firmware upgrades.


The white was a good marketing move keeping a cheaper option for people that dont really need the black or even silver. I think many buyers of the white are likely not even on forums as they just bought it for a bit of fun. Some maybe bought it assuming it is more then a repackaged hero1 and from some sales guys I spoke to early on the hero 3 release many had no clue what the difference was between the 3 cams.

I dont think GoPro will be sitting still and if they want to stay ahead they need to keep pushing on and I doubt the hero4 will be just a simple firmware update with no major hardware upgrades. I expect it to either coming with a global shutter and similar specs to the black or push into 2x faster modes and also maybe with the global shutter, this will blow away the competition for another 12 months and keep them well ahead. If they dont do much in the next 12 months others will likely over take them in this market and that could be the beginning of the end. Companies come and go and attack is the best defense so lets hope GoPro keep up their aggressive strategy so we all benefit. Not only directly with great cameras by GoPro but all the competition will need to bring out something competitive to make people want to choose it over a gopro.
Forum Moderator

Support our Sponsors - Click the Links
Surya Prihadi - Advanced GoPro Tester
Snake River Prototyping - BlurFix - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Nov 2013
Sports Camera Hire & Sales Australia
HydroRemote Cable Systems
Hobby Mounts UK
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Hardened Power Systems
Cam-Do
Fotodiox Pro - NEW PRODUCTS OUT NOW Feb 2014
User avatar
martcerv
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Next

Return to HD4 Hero Blk - NEW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

suspicion-preferred